AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

noob question campaign, ad groups and keyword structure..

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all, I hope someone can help me get my head around this... I've done a lot of browsing of the forum and haven't really found what I'm looking for.

Firstly, my (small) company is rather unusual in that our core product category has no competition. The only competition as far as adwords goes is with our resellers (of whom, only Amazon is really active). We have minimal resources to set up our adwords campaign or to optimize our website in any significant way.

Having no competition may sound like a nice situation but it actually means that we have to drive everything - no-one else is creating awareness of the (very niche) product category. Also, if we want to drive awareness we need to start picking up clicks from people who are searching for something related to us (which marks them as a potential customer).

So, people are searching for our company name / product names and we can mostly pick up this traffic through organic search but we've been running a paid search campaign (via an agency) with the goal of driving webstore sales. This has been achieving a reasonable CPS but we are only putting ads in front of people who are already searching for us...

Due to pressure from above, we've had to bring the adwords campaign in-house and we're struggling to organize it (in my opinion). We may continue to bid on our own keywords but we are more interested in reaching people who aren't already searching for us (but who we can identify as target customers).

We have plenty of ideas on keywords that will identify someone as a potential user of our products and we know putting an ad in front of them can at best drive a click (and therefore brand / product awareness). We've already seen lots of competition on some of these keywords so we may be priced out on some keywords. All OK so far.

I'm confused about how we should structure the campaigns / ad groups. I'm wondering if the campaigns (or ad groups) should be focused on our products or the type of person we want to reach.

For example:

Campaign: Product category A

Ad group 1: searching for us

Ad group 2: not searching for us

OR

- Ad group 1: Product A

- sub group 1: searching for us

- sub group 2: not searching for us 

- Ad group 2: Product B

- sub group 1: searching for us

- sub group 2: not searching for us

The problem with this 2nd option is that we would likely have duplicate keywords in the subgroups.. The more I write the more my brain hurts. I must have some kind of mental block or lack of imagination :-(

I hope someone can ask some questions or offer some advice that can help me get my head around the basic structure - before my colleague starts talking about RLSA and remarketing (which I'm coping with a bit better).

Sorry for long mail - help me Google community!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author John M
February 2016

Re: noob question campaign, ad groups and keyword structure..

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey John, how are things?

I'll try to give my most honesty and sincere opinion on this, hope this can help.

» Regarding Campaign Structure

Always keep your branded campaigns/keywords in a separate campaign from other non-branded. This will ensure that will have control over budget, optimization and specially to make sure that your non-branded keywords (which usually have way more traffic and consumption) does not eat most of your budget, leaving nothing left for people looking for you.

On the keywords side, it's a little hard to provide any suggestion without actual keywords, but unless you've different campaigns targeting different geographic locations, DO NOT, I repeat, do not add duplicated keywords on your account.

You should think of Campaigns and Groups as Themes/Subjects. If I was a tennis company selling Mountain Climb tennis and Running Shoes, I'd have something like this:

Campaign 1 - Branded Campaign

Group 1 - Keywords and ads realted to my brand

Campaign 2 - Mountain Climb Tennis (for different models or colors)

Group 1 - Model X or even Color 1

Group 2 - Model Y or even Color 2

Group 3 - Model W or even Color 3

and so son

Campaign 3 - Runnig Shoes (for different models or colors of purpose)

Group 1 - Model A or Color 1 or Light Running

Group 2 - Model B or Color 2 or Hard Running

Group 3 - Model C or Color 3 or Short length runnig

and so son

» Regarind your Company

This is where the honest part comes in.

When we talk about Google Search, it means that people uses google to search for something. There're cases where people research things and discover things online, but very often they are looking for something there because of things they saw in other moments (tv, radio, charts, outdoors even online, but different media), so the thing here is to create a plan to target the consumer on different media channels. It doesn't have to be expensive, it can be inside adwords. I'll talk more in a moment.

From my point of view, always, ALWAYS have your Branded keywords and campaigns as a priority, and always active. A lot of people forgets that people connect with BRANDs, and as you may have seen, people search for your brand. A LOT of advertisers have the thinking "I don't want to pay for my name since people will find my anyway"....I mean...if people ARE looking for you, shouldn't you be there and most easy way possible and accessible for everyone? I don't know if this is your case, but in case it is, it's a very huge mistake on my opinion, not have branded keywords/campaigns.

On the Adwords side, you should try to consider other media in case you don't have, like Remarketing. In case you don't know, remarketing it's a way to present ads for people that already visited your website (this include everyone, not only Adwords traffic). It's a very good way to try bring consumers back. Important thing here, the name "remarketing" is something like "to do marketing again", so usually if you need to do a marketing again for that user, it USUALLY (not always) means that something was missing for that person, so consider offering benefits, discounts, free shipping, free something, trials, demos or whatever. More about remarketing here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453998?hl=en

Remember that when we talk about Adwords, ANYONE showing ads for the same keywords as you, is your competitors, it doesn't matter the segment of their own, but everyone is fighting for user attention on that keyword, so this is important. 

John M wrote:

We have plenty of ideas on keywords that will identify someone as a potential user of our products and we know putting an ad in front of them can at best drive a click (and therefore brand / product awareness). We've already seen lots of competition on some of these keywords so we may be priced out on some keywords. All OK so far.

You need to use a lot of best practices all together to avoid this over priced keywords or large amount of competitors. I'll name a few

• Keywords match types
  • Negative keywords
  • Geographic location
  • Ad Extensions
  • Long-tail keywords

On the long-tail side, it means that you should prefer more specific keywords over generic ones. Returning for the Tennis example, I wouldn't buy the word "running shoes" because there are a lot of people bidding for this. I'd prefer something more specific like "running shoe model X blue". It definitely have lower search volume, but more quality, since user already know what it wants.

On the other points you can refer for those discussions right here:

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/wine-bar/m-p/474662/highlight/fal...

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/keywords-suggestions/m-p/474131...

Sorry for the long post, really hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author John M
February 2016

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey John, how are things?

I'll try to give my most honesty and sincere opinion on this, hope this can help.

» Regarding Campaign Structure

Always keep your branded campaigns/keywords in a separate campaign from other non-branded. This will ensure that will have control over budget, optimization and specially to make sure that your non-branded keywords (which usually have way more traffic and consumption) does not eat most of your budget, leaving nothing left for people looking for you.

On the keywords side, it's a little hard to provide any suggestion without actual keywords, but unless you've different campaigns targeting different geographic locations, DO NOT, I repeat, do not add duplicated keywords on your account.

You should think of Campaigns and Groups as Themes/Subjects. If I was a tennis company selling Mountain Climb tennis and Running Shoes, I'd have something like this:

Campaign 1 - Branded Campaign

Group 1 - Keywords and ads realted to my brand

Campaign 2 - Mountain Climb Tennis (for different models or colors)

Group 1 - Model X or even Color 1

Group 2 - Model Y or even Color 2

Group 3 - Model W or even Color 3

and so son

Campaign 3 - Runnig Shoes (for different models or colors of purpose)

Group 1 - Model A or Color 1 or Light Running

Group 2 - Model B or Color 2 or Hard Running

Group 3 - Model C or Color 3 or Short length runnig

and so son

» Regarind your Company

This is where the honest part comes in.

When we talk about Google Search, it means that people uses google to search for something. There're cases where people research things and discover things online, but very often they are looking for something there because of things they saw in other moments (tv, radio, charts, outdoors even online, but different media), so the thing here is to create a plan to target the consumer on different media channels. It doesn't have to be expensive, it can be inside adwords. I'll talk more in a moment.

From my point of view, always, ALWAYS have your Branded keywords and campaigns as a priority, and always active. A lot of people forgets that people connect with BRANDs, and as you may have seen, people search for your brand. A LOT of advertisers have the thinking "I don't want to pay for my name since people will find my anyway"....I mean...if people ARE looking for you, shouldn't you be there and most easy way possible and accessible for everyone? I don't know if this is your case, but in case it is, it's a very huge mistake on my opinion, not have branded keywords/campaigns.

On the Adwords side, you should try to consider other media in case you don't have, like Remarketing. In case you don't know, remarketing it's a way to present ads for people that already visited your website (this include everyone, not only Adwords traffic). It's a very good way to try bring consumers back. Important thing here, the name "remarketing" is something like "to do marketing again", so usually if you need to do a marketing again for that user, it USUALLY (not always) means that something was missing for that person, so consider offering benefits, discounts, free shipping, free something, trials, demos or whatever. More about remarketing here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453998?hl=en

Remember that when we talk about Adwords, ANYONE showing ads for the same keywords as you, is your competitors, it doesn't matter the segment of their own, but everyone is fighting for user attention on that keyword, so this is important. 

John M wrote:

You need to use a lot of best practices all together to avoid this over priced keywords or large amount of competitors. I'll name a few

• Keywords match types
  • Negative keywords
  • Geographic location
  • Ad Extensions
  • Long-tail keywords

On the long-tail side, it means that you should prefer more specific keywords over generic ones. Returning for the Tennis example, I wouldn't buy the word "running shoes" because there are a lot of people bidding for this. I'd prefer something more specific like "running shoe model X blue". It definitely have lower search volume, but more quality, since user already know what it wants.

On the other points you can refer for those discussions right here:

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/wine-bar/m-p/474662/highlight/fal...

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/keywords-suggestions/m-p/474131...

Sorry for the long post, really hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Leandro, that info has certainly moved my understanding forward. Much appreciated.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Make sure you are tracking every conversion possible - phone calls and form fills and on-line purchases.

Given that the new keywords you are trying might not convert well, you will be best off spending your budget on a few keywords that you think have the best chance, and have a reasonable bid cost.

Don't spend $50/day on 100 different keywords. That could mean that after 1 month each keyword has had 2 clicks at $7.50 each which probably won't tell you anything.

Better to have tested 5 keywords, giving each a real good chance to shine.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Rob, useful feedback. All the best

noob question campaign, ad groups and keyword structure..

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Ad group 1: searching for us 
Ad group 2: not searching for us

As group 2- not to include any of the keywords in

Ad group 1- product category A and B can live within the same ad group - Google's algorithm factors in ad rank, quality score, and other factors that play a much larger role than the keyword (data, user behavior, cookies, etc.) prioritizing the user experience. 

Ad group 2- target the audience you're trying to reach by in market, topic, interest, or an affinity audience. This way you're able to reach your deficit audience. You want to make sure to pull and analyze your performance reports first couple of weeks, paying close attention to keywords your audience is searching and ensure you add these keywords to ad group 1 and continue to do this throughout the campaign. So audience grows along with your share. 

-Julia