AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

new campaign costs more

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Starting the process of cleaning up and updating my ads.  Created a new text campaign on the search network very similar to an old one, for the same product, thinking it would be easier to create a new one from scratch than to try to clean up the old.  (also separating search network ads from the old campaign wich combined search network and display network)  But, I'm seeing average cpc 2 to 3 times that of the old campaign, for the same keywords.  What's up?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jim F
September 2015

Re: new campaign costs more

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
By the way . . . for anyone who is having the same trouble . . . I upped my bids on the new campaigns in order to get them running. As soon as I got some clicks, things settled down and I was able to reduce my bids to a more reasonable level. Not sure why this happens, but it's been doing it on all my new campaigns. Now that I know, I won't worry about it. I just overbid for the first few days.

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Are you using AdWords Express or the full AdWords program?

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Full Adwords, I believe. Not sure what Adwords Expresss is, actually.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Okay, then. Smiley Happy

Not sure what you mean by the process of cleaning up and updating my ads but I'm assuming your campaign has either been inactive for a while or that you haven't been actively managing it for a while?  You're probably wise to start a new campaign. If you're going to be trying a new approach, it will make it easier to compare/contrast performance changes.

As for the difference in click costs, there could be a number of things that explain that. Two high-likelihood possibilities:

#1 On the original search+display campaign, the vast majority of your traffic was coming from cheaper display placements. 

#2 Your campaign has been offline for long enough that the competitive environment has changed and clicks are most competitive (and, thus, more expensive) than they used to be.

I assume you'd like to control costs, or at least make certain you're spending your money wisely? I'd need more information before I could offer any more specific suggestions.

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, Theresa. I have indeed been shamefully delinquent in managing my account. I log in to tweak bids now and then, but not much else. Given the substantial cost of this advertising, I thought it high time that I dug in a little deeper.

I'm really not even that conversant in the lingo, as you can see. I don't know what you mean by cheaper display placements, for example. All I've done, so far, is to copy the one of my existing campaigns to a new one, dropping a few of the underperforming keywords, and consolidating the redundant adgroups into a single ad. I also changed it form both search and display networks to just search network. (I plan to create a separate campaign for the search network.) The keywords remain the same. But, where I was ranking 1 or 2 at .69, I'm now seeing suggested bids of 2.75 - 3.50, and "below 1st page". Could this just be a result of the new campaign having a 0 CTR? The old CTR was around 0.4% - 0.5%. Or maybe something inherent to a new campaign that will adjust itself after it starts running. I only set it up this morning.

Thanks for the advice.
Jim

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Okay, wow, lots of territory to cover here.

First - your average click costs. If you were looking at the "default view on one of the pages of the UI (User Interface), the costs you were seeing would have been an average of clicks on the Search network and clicks from the Display network. Because clicks for text ads on Display network sites tend to be a lot cheaper than Search clicks, these 'averages' were skewed toward the low side.

Second - your average postioning. Because competition for text ads for Display placements is lower than competition for placement on the first page of the SERPs (Search Engine Results Page), it's easier for ads to place "high" on a Display network placement. That means that your average positioning in the old campaign was probably skewing a lot higher than your actual ad positioning on the SERPs.  (that is, your ads might never have appeared very often in high positions on the SERPs, but that fact was masked by the Display Network data.)

I think it's important to understand the data you have so far--it will be incredibly useful for you as you try to move forward. Because of that, I'm going to stop here for the moment and give you a bit of homework. Smiley Wink

On the Campaigns, Keywords, and Ads tabs of your original campaign, there's a button called Segment. I want you to choose the Network (with search partners) segment as you view each of those tabs.

Now the "view" of your performance data is segmented--you can see how your campaign, your keywords, and even your individual ads performed on the Google search results, the Search Partner websites, and the Display network, all individually. (If it's all too overwhelming on the Keywords or Ads tab, you can go Ad Group by Ad Group, to view fewer lines at a time.)

See where your actual traffic (impressions) have been coming from. Figure out where your visits (clicks) were being generated. Watch for differences in click costs, average positioning, etc., on the different networks.

Choose some different time frames and watch how performance data does and/or does not change over time. 

Make sure you understand just where you've been advertising, where your ads have been appearing. If you've been managing your campaign solely through making bid adjustments for clicks, there's probably been a lot going on that you weren't aware of. 

Once you understand where your ads have been showing and how they've performed on the different networks, the path forward, to making improvements, will be more clear.

- - - - - - -

P.S. It's just my opinion, but I'd really recommend that you do all of this.

If it were me, I'd want to thoroughly understand what I'd been paying for so far, before I decided where and how to spend my money going forward. I'd want to know where my money had actually been spent and if I'd been spending it wisely.

If, for example, I'd been serving ads on the Display network without monitoring the Placements report and eliminating unprofitable placements? I wouldn't do that any more. There's a lot of great data on the Display Network tab and it can help you spend those dollars wisely.

If, to give another example, I'd been spending money on clicks on Phrase and/or Broad match keywords without monitoring my Search Terms report? I'd make a resolution to monitor that report at least twice a month, eliminating unwanted search terms, from now on.

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Theresa. I'll look closely at all your advice. Much appreciated.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jim F
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
By the way . . . for anyone who is having the same trouble . . . I upped my bids on the new campaigns in order to get them running. As soon as I got some clicks, things settled down and I was able to reduce my bids to a more reasonable level. Not sure why this happens, but it's been doing it on all my new campaigns. Now that I know, I won't worry about it. I just overbid for the first few days.