Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

negative keyword question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hi,

I'm curious what i'm doing wrong. I hope someone can help.

I have "mats" as a negative keyword phrase match at the campaign level yet my ad was still shown and clicked for the following search term: 2 foot by 2 foot by 1 quarter inch interlocking floor mats

This is nothing to do with the product i sell. What do i have to do to not have my ad show when someone is looking for mats?

It also happened with search term:200 amps interlock siemen

the word "amp" is a negative keyword phrase match(campaign level). I thought doing that would prohibit my ad from showing, obviously not. What should i do? 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jason G
August 2016

Re: negative keyword question

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jason,

You are doing nothing wrong and unfortunately the system is working 100% correctly in this case.

Negative KW's are only applied to the first 10 terms of a search query, so if your negative KW is the 11th term then it will not be negated.

With respect to the second question, close variations are not applied to negative KW's, you have to add all the misspellings and plurals yourself.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jason,

Try putting negative broad match variant for general terms in the campaign and ad group level.
-mat
-mats
-amp

Also if you have a restricted budget and geography I would recommend targeting phrase, MBM, or exact match keywords.

I hope this helps!

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
That shouldn't be happening.

Double-check that the negative keyword isn't exact match - it would look like this in the list

[mats]

Check when you added the negatives and make sure your search query report isn't including queries from before that date.

And just in case you didn't realise, campaign-level negatives only work for ad groups that are in that campaign.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I looked into what you said. Looking at the change history i made mats a negative keyword at the campaign level on the 25th of july- as a phrase match. My ad showed for the above mentioned search term on the 27th. Would it take 2 days for the negative keyword to work?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jason G
August 2016

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jason,

You are doing nothing wrong and unfortunately the system is working 100% correctly in this case.

Negative KW's are only applied to the first 10 terms of a search query, so if your negative KW is the 11th term then it will not be negated.

With respect to the second question, close variations are not applied to negative KW's, you have to add all the misspellings and plurals yourself.

Hope this helps

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I what free data use 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I what data free indes nober +211914830017