2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

negative keyword blocking ad group

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I'm hoping someone who understands this better than me can help. I'm totally lost.

In the ad preview tool I type: where interlock installation

the response I get is: No, your ad is not showing for the keyword +interlock +installation ( IDNJ > Interlock Device Installer )
A negative keyword ("where") is preventing your ad from showing.What can I do?

I purposely made "where" a phrase match negative keyword in this ad group to so that another adgroup (interlock location) would show if this was the search term, which is what i thought I supposed to do. so I understand why it wouldn't show for this adgroup but why isn't the ad showing for that adgroup?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: negative keyword blocking ad group

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jason,

Check the Diagnosis of the keywords in the ad group where you're expecting your ads to show. It may shed some insights as to what is occurring.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453974?rd=1

Let us know what you find out.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So the status said: low search volume
I'm not sure how to check the diagnosis but this might be the answer I'm assuming. The key word was: +where +interlock +installed
I changed to: +where +interlock
do you think this might be the solution?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Jason,

Honestly not sure - check the speech bubble next to the keywords in the ad group that you'd expect the ads to show from - (the process is explained in the link I posted under "Diagnose Your Keywords).

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Also, if you can further elaborate on your setup and share some of the keywords as well as your intended strategy that would probably help paint a better picture of your goal vs what is occurring.

-Tommy

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

Good afternoon.

First, if you have set "where" as a negative keyword for this Ad Group, then no search query containing the word where is going to trigger an ad from this Ad Group. So, the Ad Preview tool is giving you proof that your negative keyword is working.

Second, you would need to go to the other Ad Group, and the other keyword and test it in the tool individually to see if the search phrase triggers an ad to show.

And, third, please do check out the links @PPCBossman shared, especially if the Ad Preview tool doesn't show an ad being triggered for the other keyword. There are a number of reasons why an ad might not be triggered for any particular search, including low search rank, perceived poor relevance, etc. It's really just a matter of working through the potential causes of the problem to figure out your specific situation.

Good luck!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
strategy: I have one product so i use only one campaign made up of 6 adgroups with an average of about 10 keywords in each. each adgroup is based on where the potential customer may be. i.e. adgroup for research, adgroup for location, adgroup for those ready to buy now. I negative keywords like "location" and "where" from all other adgroups but the location adgroup thinking that if someone types in these phrases they would get the ad that talks about convenient location and thus get a landing page that they are interested in.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
thank you. Can you run the tool at different levels? If so, i think i'm running it at the campaign level and it still doesn't trigger for the adgroup that it is supposed to.