AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

need to close my account and set up a new one

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was stationed in Germany when I set up my adwords account in Euro. Monetary settings are permanant. Now I live in the US again and the old website associated with my account no longer exists. I want to promote my Youtube videos, but when I attempt to do so, it automatically goes to the old adwords account set up on my Googe accounts.

How can I close out that old adwords account completely so that I can open up a new one to promote my Youtube videos? I want to set up a US account because I now live in the US again.

Nothing I have been trying works at all.

I did try to cancel all running ads, but no "cancel" tab appears anywhere. I tried to call Google support, but wait on hold forever until I hang up.

Thanks in advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: need to close my account and set up a new one

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

It was not there. But I finally got through to Adwords on the phone and here is the answer for others:

Under "my account" click on "account access"

Then click on "invite other users" and enter an email that has never been used with a google account before. I created a new one on my server for this purpose.

Log in to your new email account and accept the invite. Now you need to set up a new Google Adwords account with the new email you just set up.

Then in the old adwords account, enable the new administrator.

In your new email account there will be another confirmation email you must click on. Then in your new adwords account, you can click on "my account"  "account access" and under "actions" click on "terminate access"

All done. Your old email will be freed up to use new with a new adwords account.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi TheDIYworld; Welcome;

Please follow the steps in the following link:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2424605&rd=1

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, thanks, but I have read that already. There is no "cancellation" button anywhere. I have spent 4 hours looking for one.

I cancelled all of my ads too, hoping that might help.

I need to fully close out the account so I can open a new account in US Dollars. The old account is in Euro. You cannot change this setting once an adwords account has been created.

Also, according the Google help I have read on the subject, an account can still be re-activated once its "cancelled" even though I cannot find a cancel button anywhere.

I must be able to completely close out the account somewhere as though it never even existed so that I can open a new one and start advertising my Youtube videos.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again;

On the link I gave there are screenshots showing the cancel link

(At bottom of the preferences tab)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

It was not there. But I finally got through to Adwords on the phone and here is the answer for others:

Under "my account" click on "account access"

Then click on "invite other users" and enter an email that has never been used with a google account before. I created a new one on my server for this purpose.

Log in to your new email account and accept the invite. Now you need to set up a new Google Adwords account with the new email you just set up.

Then in the old adwords account, enable the new administrator.

In your new email account there will be another confirmation email you must click on. Then in your new adwords account, you can click on "my account"  "account access" and under "actions" click on "terminate access"

All done. Your old email will be freed up to use new with a new adwords account.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

If I got you correctly....I disagree

How that canceled the old account?

You did not cancel the account by doing that only added a new administrator

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No, it did not cancel the old account, but moved it off to an unused email account. Now my google mail account is freed up to set up a brand new account, which I have now successfully done. I have my Youtube video promotion running now.

I could not find a "cancel" button anywhere at all. Dont know if it was different because it was old and from Germany when I created it. I have spent 5 hours on this project, so I believe I tried to find the best solution. Google Adwords customer support on the phone gave me the solution I wrote in the last post.

Thank you for your help. I hope this may help others one day.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

DIY I have the exact situation. I am trying to follow your steps. So right at the end, do you terminate the old association email with adwords or the new one? I am bit confused here. I would appreciate your help. Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Basically your original google accounts email address is locked into a junk adwords account. The only way to get rid of this old adwords account is to set up a new administrator on the account.

Set up a junk email you will never use. Get a free account somewhere or set it up on your server like I did.

Invite this email address into your original adwords account as an administrator.

When the process is finished, you now have two admins. The original google mail which is attached to your google accounts and the new junk email address you just made.

Now remove the google accounts email address from the admin list. Terminate it from the old adwords account.

Now, forget that old adwords account. I can lie dormant and die.

Now you are free to create a brand new adwords account with your original google accounts email address.

Hope this helps, it is a bit confusing and hard to explain.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I did it DIY! Thanks so much!

I removed the original email as the admin from the old adwords account, and once that was done I opened a new adwords account with it. Simple solution but phew! a load off my back!