6.4K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

multiple ads in one adgroup

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Am I correct in that the only purpose of having multiple ads in one adgroup would be testing small changes with an ad rotation?

Example: If I had a clothing and shoe store and had an adgroup for shoes and 2 ads, 1 about regular shoes and 1 about boots, google doesn't pick the most relevant ad to display automatically. I'd have to create a boot adgroup if i really want that ad to display for boot keywords. Right?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: multiple ads in one adgroup

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi KmHelms,

You are right. Google will not automatically find the suitable ad. So if you want to write targeted ads for a set of keywords, you should have them in a separate ad group. This is the basic of adwords campaign structuring.

So from your example, you should create two ad groups - one for shoes and one for boots.

Then you can write targeted ads for 'shoes' and 'boots' in their separate ad groups. Having separate ad group will prevent a 'shoes' ad getting displyed for a 'boot' search query. You can have multiple ad avariations with in these ad groups. For example one ad promoting your 'free shipping' offer and another promoting a '10% discount' (if you have both these offers). Rotate your ads to give them equal opportunities in the ad auction.

And then you can optimize your ads based on the number of conversions (sales).

Hope this helps,

Deepak

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi KmHelms,

You are right. Google will not automatically find the suitable ad. So if you want to write targeted ads for a set of keywords, you should have them in a separate ad group. This is the basic of adwords campaign structuring.

So from your example, you should create two ad groups - one for shoes and one for boots.

Then you can write targeted ads for 'shoes' and 'boots' in their separate ad groups. Having separate ad group will prevent a 'shoes' ad getting displyed for a 'boot' search query. You can have multiple ad avariations with in these ad groups. For example one ad promoting your 'free shipping' offer and another promoting a '10% discount' (if you have both these offers). Rotate your ads to give them equal opportunities in the ad auction.

And then you can optimize your ads based on the number of conversions (sales).

Hope this helps,

Deepak

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

HI Deepak,

If I want to run 2 ads, with similar but not completely the same copy for 1 adgroup. How do I go about doing that with the adwords editor? I have templates to include the first ad but don't see how to include my 2nd copy 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Lucy,

Find detailed instruction about adding multiple text ads using Adwords editor in the link below.

https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/56504?hl=en

Hope this helps,

Deepak