1.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

modified broad match keywords and display select

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am using the new search + display select campaign (usually split out but many reasons why i have to use search + display together..).

anyway, anyone know how modified broad match keywords would work with the display network in this case? does google just match the content to the keywords using the basic broad match equivalent?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: modified broad match keywords and display select

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jay,

Welcome to the AdWords community Smiley Happy

#1. Display campaign does not consider the keyword match type. It works on the basis of keywords theme not keyword match type.

#2. If you really want to expand your reach on GDN, create a seperate campaigns for display only. Segregating the search & Display campaigns help you better budget allocation and bid management.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jay,

Welcome to the AdWords community Smiley Happy

#1. Display campaign does not consider the keyword match type. It works on the basis of keywords theme not keyword match type.

#2. If you really want to expand your reach on GDN, create a seperate campaigns for display only. Segregating the search & Display campaigns help you better budget allocation and bid management.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Jay,

As Rakesh says, it's better to split Content Network and Search into their own campaigns. You say there are reasons for putting them together, so I'm sure you've thought it through. However, in my own experience, it's far easier to control budgets etc if they are split into separate campaigns, because they behave so differently. 

In terms of your specific question about how the Content Network deals with Modified Broad Match, it treats them simply as Broad Match. It essentially ignores the Match Type you use. There's a good article in the Google Support pages (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en-GB) that I've recommended to others. It states the following:

"You can use keyword match types with campaigns that show ads on the Search Network or both the Search and Display Networks combined. On the Display Network, keywords are treated as broad match."

Hope this helps.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Search with display select is not intended for those looking for a full display campaign, but for advertisers restricted by budget,  or advertisers who do not want to "run into the complexity" of setting a full display campaign. 

These types of campaigns are with a low budget  and aimed to target  direct response.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’