1.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

mobile display only

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I want to run adverts for customers who are visiting my local area and are looking for a place to stay.  Thus by definition they don't have a desktop PC about their person.  Thus I only want the ad to appear on mobile devices - how do I do this?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: mobile display only

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Andy,

You can do this by creation an Adwords campaign and using device bid adjustments.

With the new enhanced campaigns you can not completely exclude traffic from other devices (desktop/tablets) but with smart bidding you can minimize it to a negligible level.

Set up your campaign with very low bid and use the 'Mobile bid adjustment' to increase the bids (up to 300% of the original bid) on mobile devices.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2732132?hl=en

Use mobile preferred ads to increase the chances of showing your ads on mobile devices.

https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/30854?hl=en

But a major thing to consider here is, usually travelers book their place to stay well in advance. These searches can happen from any device (desktop/tablet or mobile).
So it will be better to test both these cases by creating an enhanced campaign targeting all the devices. You can optimize/adjust bids on specific devices after analyzing the performance.

Hope this helps,

Deepak

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Andy,

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you think potential customers will not look for a place to stay before they embark on their journey? I would think they would book in advance.

But to answer your question directly, there is no way to target only mobile. There is a 'work around' of sorts but, to be honest I cringe as offering it as an option. The only way to ensure a majority of mobile traffic and minimal desktop traffic is to set a minimal CPC and then set your mobile bid adjustment to the maximum of 300%.

The idea is that your bids will be to low to show on desktop but the 300% increase in your bid will allow it to show on mobile. This is not foolproof and I would not recommend it but it is the only 'work around' that has been found that has the potential to reach OK (at best) results with regards to targeting only mobile.

Hope this helps

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Andy,
To add to Deepak's great answer, via Google Display Network Advertising you can choose to only target people on mobile devices.  Again, this doesn't target the Search Network, but it does allow you to reach a mobile-only audience, and allows you to target via carrier and device.

To do this, under Campaign Settings, choose to create a Display Network only Campaign.

Finally, I do agree w/ Clynton and Deepak that most likely they'll book in advance.  I suggest if you really want to go after last minute travelers/hotel bookers, you create a compelling offer and competitive advantage for them to book with you.

Display Targeting only on Mobile

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Clyton, and thanks all for the advice, The reason for this is that we run a campsite and it is not unusual for people to set off and drive a couple hundred miles and only when they get here start looking of a place to stay.  So this campaign is intended to only target those who are nearbye and looking for a campsite