AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

minimum click cost

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I'm wondering how Google handles clicks for keywords that have no other bids. Suppose you wanted an ad to come up when someone searched for "antiques in Smalltown"  where "Smalltown" is some imaginary small town, and no one else in Smalltown had an adwords account, let alone one that was bidding for the keyword "antiques in Smalltown."   To limit the situation still more, you would have Location for the campaign set down to the smallest area possible around Smalltown to exclude any activity that might occur in other possible Smalltowns in  the world. .  What might you have to pay for that click?  The CTR will be virtually zero, probably, because not that many people are going to be searching Google for "antiques in Smalltown," maybe one a day, if that, so the quality score for this keyword will be very low, but with the next lowest bid being 0, the cost shouldn't be much - maybe a penny?

Does Google fall back to some minimum price in this case?

Thanks for any input.

Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: minimum click cost

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

I. If your ad is showing in the last position, or if it's the only ad showing:

In this case, a click costs the lowest price possible for your ad to be eligible to show. This price depends on the matched keyword's Quality Score: the higher the Quality Score, the less you pay, and vice versa.

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=87411

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

The minimum that you can bid per click is $0.01. In case of no search volume and no competition, this is what you will be paying in case of a click. However, due to practically nil search volume, your ad may not show at all, with Google stating 'Low Search Volume' as the status of your keyword.

In general, you will always pay $0.01 more than your closest competitor to attain a position higher than him.

-Heta

Heta
- Paid Search Marketing | www.convonix.com

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I can tell you about my experience.

Once I run a campaign with the keyword I was 100% sure that nobody alse was bidding on.

It was on single word so at the beginning,as usually for this kind of words and account with no history,google gave QS=3. The first page bid was sth about 0,17$. After few hours(because ad and landing page were very relevant to keyword) QS has been changed to 10. From that time I was paying 0,01$-0,02 per click.

I hope this example somehow will help you

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

I. If your ad is showing in the last position, or if it's the only ad showing:

In this case, a click costs the lowest price possible for your ad to be eligible to show. This price depends on the matched keyword's Quality Score: the higher the Quality Score, the less you pay, and vice versa.

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=87411

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks everyone for the replies. Heta you said one thing that bothers me. "Due to nil volumne your ad may not show at all."  I need the ad to show whenever someone enters "antiques in Smalltown"  even if that only happens for one search a day.  Is there any reason the ad won't run when this search is entered?

Thanks

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Steve,

I have experienced this in a few of my accounts. In an effort to include all possible variations, we add keywords that may not have too much search volume and are therefore given a 'Low Search Volume' status by Google. Even on searching for these terms, I have been unable to see my ad. The below mentioned link may give more clarity regarding this where Google says: 

• Keywords marked as "Low search volume" are associated with very little search traffic on Google, an indication that they're not very relevant to most customers' searches. For this reason, Google temporarily makes these keyword inactive so that they don't trigger your ads.
  • If the number of search queries for these keywords increases even a small amount, they'll be reactivated and will start triggering your ads to show again. Our system checks and updates this status once per week.

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=118604

- Heta

Heta
- Paid Search Marketing | www.convonix.com

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

How about targeting the geographical area of Smalltown and adding "antiques" (with phrase and/or exact match) and in campaign settings choose "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about your targeted location"?

That way your ad will most probably show for anyone with an IP-adress in Smalltown searching for "antiques" or "antiques Smalltown" and for anyone sitting outside Smalltown searching for "antiques Smalltown".

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

David,

I tried this but now Google wants a $1.50 to get on  the first page.  Plus, now I'm putting my ad up for searches I don't want.

It's appears that AdWords is not much use for local businesses.  If you define your search term to what you want ("antiques in Smalltown") Google says there aren't going to be enough clicks here to make it worth our while to find and display your ad.

This doesn't seem right.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

If you´re showing up for searches that you don´t want, try adding the the keyword with exact match option and make sure you have choosen "Do not include close variants" in the campaign settings for "Keyword matching options".

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have  the keyword specified as an exact match - [antiques] - but the minimum bid to place my ad on  the first page is $2.75, even though I have the geography for the campaign limited to the county that  I'm in.   And I notice that the min bid for first page is still $2.75 when I open the geography out the the world. So even though my ad is only showing in a tiny area of the world, where there probably is very little, if any, competition for [antiques],  Google is making me bid against every one in the world who wants to bid on that keyword.