AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

max. cpc / top page bid

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have to set a Max CPC bid for an adgroup by default . But it we chose bidding as target top of search page will it override the max CPC Bid at adgroup level ?

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Lakatos (Top Contributor)
June 2017

max. cpc / top page bid

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Vyshwanara K,

It will work as capping.

• Manual CPC bid limit: You can set a cap on bids for any keywords, ad groups, or campaigns using this bid strategy.

Reference: About Target Search Page Location bidding

Edit: Detailed explanation

If I have opted the 2nd option in Bid automation that is "Set bids myself, but automatically adjust bids so they are at least as high as the estimated top of page bid" then the bids set in the “Max. CPC” column(ad group/keyword level) will be increased by the system If they’re too low for your ad to show in the priority positions.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Re: max. cpc / top page bid

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Vyshwanara K,

A bid set at keyword / placement level will override an ad group bid.

Generally speaking, each step down in the AdWords hierarchy will override the steps above. So if you set callout extensions at account level and then different callout extensions in a particular ad group, that ad group would ignore the account level extensions.

TC.png

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Lakatos (Top Contributor)
June 2017

max. cpc / top page bid

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Vyshwanara K,

It will work as capping.

• Manual CPC bid limit: You can set a cap on bids for any keywords, ad groups, or campaigns using this bid strategy.

Reference: About Target Search Page Location bidding

Edit: Detailed explanation

If I have opted the 2nd option in Bid automation that is "Set bids myself, but automatically adjust bids so they are at least as high as the estimated top of page bid" then the bids set in the “Max. CPC” column(ad group/keyword level) will be increased by the system If they’re too low for your ad to show in the priority positions.

Regards
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

max. cpc / top page bid

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Thx, @Archit. Great job... Smiley Happy

max. cpc / top page bid

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Most Welcome!!

Regards

max. cpc / top page bid

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Setting max CPC bit at ad group level is mandatory so if we want the adwords to automatically bid as high as required to get the top of first page position , do we have to set the max cps bid very high .My question is if my targeting method is top of page and my adgroup max cps bid is 40 , will the adword limit itself to rs 40 bid per click to achieve top of page or will it exceed bid to achieve that

max. cpc / top page bid

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Vyshwanara K,

If the ad group/keyword bid is set to $5 but your required bid for top of page is $20 then system will increase the bid to $20 until you set the maximum CPC bid limit for the Target search page location bid strategy.

Regards

max. cpc / top page bid

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is the most definitive answer to the question that I have found anywhere online.

However, I've noticed that when my AdGroup Max CPC's are set low, I do not get the impressions I would have had the bids automatically been adjusted to the Top of Page bid. 

For example, if my settings are such that:

all AdGroup Max CPC's are set to $1 (due to the fact that I am required to set it to some number - I can't just leave it blank)

The bidding strategy is set to Target Top of Page Location

The selected setting is for this strategy is "Automated - Do not set manually, let adwords adjust my bids"

... I do NOT get the impressions that I would at a higher Max CPC, AND my keywords will show a status of "Bid Set Below First Page Result"

This seems contrary to what you are saying. I wish I could just leave the Mac CPC in Ad Groups blank. Please advise... Thanks very very much. 

max. cpc / top page bid

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @Stephanie O,

Can you share a screenshot for the same?

As I have not seen this strategy showing the status "Below first page bid" until max bid limit capping and increase % are set to low than required.

Though, this default bid($1) will be considered as lowest bid capping by the system.

Regards

Re: max. cpc / top page bid

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here's an example:

Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 1.38.44 PM.pngHere's what it shows when I click the blue "'i" in a circle next to 3.5 for dental careScreen Shot 2017-08-30 at 1.39.25 PM.png