Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

match type question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I've more than 50 keywords for a particular campaign... most of them 3 keyword phrases... as for eg. digital marketing company. My doubt is that in case of broad match type - my ad will also appear for the single keyword "digital", "marketing" and "company". Now in this situation the click will not help me... as for eg. digital signage, marketing strategy, finance company. Other than "broad match modifier" and "phrase match" what if i use "negative match" as -digital, -marking, -company... will it help me to get rid of this situation.

Kindly advice,

Thanks,

Linda Jones

3 Expert replyverified_user
4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: match type question

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Linda,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

If you are already advertising for 50 keywords in a campaign, did you actually check the Search Terms which people are using to find your ad and click on it?

My advice would be to look for the search terms report first and then analyze how many times users are entering the exact queries which are using as keywords irrespective of the match type and whether the queries are relevant or not. Trust me if majority times, queries are exactly matching the keyword you are using, this will be very beneficial for your aaccount in terms of CTR, Quality Score, Ad rank and relevancy. Similarly, if there are irrelevant queries, you can add them as negative keywords to prevent your ad showing for those.

Broad match is the least restrictive type of keywords, which could attract higher amount of irrelavant terms for your business if used inappropriately. But if you use it effectively, you can gather large amount of traffic for yourself.

Before you think of using Broad matches, I would suggest you go though this article in details.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Linda,

Pankaj has given you a great advice on search term report and negative keyword match type. 

In addition, If you will add negative broad keywords at campaign level

digital

marketing

company

It will block all queries that contains digital, marketing, company. If you do not want digital to be trigger you can add [digital] as negative. In this case when user search for exact term digital, you ad will not get triggered. 

I would also recommend you to read an article on Negative Keywords which I wrote Woman Wink

Thanks

Neha Gupta

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Perfect advice from Neha Gupta. Add [digital] in your negative keywords list. If you add them in exact match then ads will not show only when user search for this term. If you add broad term then it will prevent ads from showing for all others keywords containing this term.
When I build my keyword list from keyword tool, I keep writing negative keywords somewhere like notepad and add them later to campaign or adgroup.
Also, I build a negative keywords list ( see shared library) which I can apply to many campaign and I can modify it any time & so it update to all campaign.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hey Linda,

Adding [digital] as exact negative will not block your ads for 'digital signage'.. 

I suggest you add the 3 word keywords as phrase match or BMM.

Or add all combinations of those words like 'Digital signage' , 'finance company' etc.. as phrase negatives or then just finance, signage etc as broad matched negatives.

It's just that this will take too much effort and too much of testing with broad keywords till you manage to have an exhaustive list of negatives to be able to get the targetted traffic you need.

I would recommend you go ahead with the first option that is using phrase and BMM keywords.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Linda,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

If you are already advertising for 50 keywords in a campaign, did you actually check the Search Terms which people are using to find your ad and click on it?

My advice would be to look for the search terms report first and then analyze how many times users are entering the exact queries which are using as keywords irrespective of the match type and whether the queries are relevant or not. Trust me if majority times, queries are exactly matching the keyword you are using, this will be very beneficial for your aaccount in terms of CTR, Quality Score, Ad rank and relevancy. Similarly, if there are irrelevant queries, you can add them as negative keywords to prevent your ad showing for those.

Broad match is the least restrictive type of keywords, which could attract higher amount of irrelavant terms for your business if used inappropriately. But if you use it effectively, you can gather large amount of traffic for yourself.

Before you think of using Broad matches, I would suggest you go though this article in details.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Linda,

Pankaj has given you a great advice on search term report and negative keyword match type. 

In addition, If you will add negative broad keywords at campaign level

digital

marketing

company

It will block all queries that contains digital, marketing, company. If you do not want digital to be trigger you can add [digital] as negative. In this case when user search for exact term digital, you ad will not get triggered. 

I would also recommend you to read an article on Negative Keywords which I wrote Woman Wink

Thanks

Neha Gupta

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Perfect advice from Neha Gupta. Add [digital] in your negative keywords list. If you add them in exact match then ads will not show only when user search for this term. If you add broad term then it will prevent ads from showing for all others keywords containing this term.
When I build my keyword list from keyword tool, I keep writing negative keywords somewhere like notepad and add them later to campaign or adgroup.
Also, I build a negative keywords list ( see shared library) which I can apply to many campaign and I can modify it any time & so it update to all campaign.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hey Linda,

Adding [digital] as exact negative will not block your ads for 'digital signage'.. 

I suggest you add the 3 word keywords as phrase match or BMM.

Or add all combinations of those words like 'Digital signage' , 'finance company' etc.. as phrase negatives or then just finance, signage etc as broad matched negatives.

It's just that this will take too much effort and too much of testing with broad keywords till you manage to have an exhaustive list of negatives to be able to get the targetted traffic you need.

I would recommend you go ahead with the first option that is using phrase and BMM keywords.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Shweta,

that's on the DOT... thanks a lot

great to the point answer

thanks again
linda

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Thank Linda,

Glad I could help!
Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor