AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

match options and bidding cost

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I understand the different keyword match options (broad, phrase, etc...)

How does the bidding change by the type? For example, is a particular match type more expensive than others if the words used or the same? (i.e. [red shoes] vs. "red shoes")

Kevin

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: match options and bidding cost

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Though not a thumb rule, but the exact match keywords generally have high CPC, especially when you are working with too broad or 1 phrase keyword.

More the specific the keyword, less is the gap in CPC gets reduced for broad, exact and phrase match.

It varies, its better you try the google keyword tool for the set of keywords you want to target to check bidding for each type.

Re: match options and bidding cost

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Kevin P,

I have no idea what SJAdWiser is trying to tell you here.

There is no real reason one particular match type would be more expensive than others. Google does not raise the price based on match type. This is an auction.

On the other hand, many times the phrase and exact match keywords will have a higher value for you than in broad match. In that case, you would want to bid higher for those keywords. But that doesn't really mean they are more expensive. It does mean they can or do perform better.

With broad match and phrase match, you can run a search terms report. This will help you identify candidates for phrase and/or exact match in your campaign.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords