Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

managed placements campaign help

N/A
# 1
N/A

Hi there,
When adding URLs to a managed placements campaign do I include or exclude the forward slash "/" at the end of the URLs? Or should I include both versions?

And do I include the http://www. at beginning of each URL?

I cannot find an answer to this question anywhere...many thanks

My second question is:
If I have one URL & one keyword in an adgroup, I understand that my ad will only be seen when both of these 'intersect'...

However what happens if I have one URL and 3 keywords in one ad group? Do ALL of these 4 elements need to intersect before my ad shows?

If anyone could help out I'd greatly appreciate it

Thanks!
Hayley

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: managed placements campaign help

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello New user ! Welcome to the community !

1) When you chose or add placements, you don't have to use http https or www , the last / must be used only when you follow it with some text like a sub-page youtube.com/user1 . 

placements-choice-without-www-or-http.png

2) In the Display Campaign, keywords are only an element in the "context" you define for your ad group.

Also keywords are the last on a priority list, the first "match" between your ad and "the Display network" is made using "placement". When you use many elements to restrict your target audience, you lower your chances because you aim at an intersection between "restriction 1=keyword" and "restriction2=placement" and restriction3=topic" and more.

Read these articles

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2580292?hl=en&ref_topic=1713958

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2580293?hl=en

https://support.google.com/adwords/topic/1713922?hl=en&ref_topic=1713909

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I disagree with Adrian on this :

>>"Also keywords are the last on a priority list, the first "match" between your ad and "the Display network" is made using "placement"

Keywords and placements work together and the ad will be shown only on placements pages that also match the theme of keywords selected (AND condition applies - there is NO hierarchy).

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I was talking about competition between Display campaigns using keywords and campaigns using placements , that is why I gave him the link about bidding priorities of the system.

How ads that target placements and keywords compete

Placement-targeted ads and keyword-targeted ads compete to appear on pages on the Display Network based on their Ad Rank

• Text ads that are using CPC bidding -- regardless of whether they're keyword-targeted or placement-targeted text ads -- compete with each other to appear on an ad unit that can contain one or more text ads.

Destination URLs

For Display Network campaigns, you can add a destination URL for a particular managed placement and keyword. If an impression that's served has multiple destination URLs, AdWords will use the URL of the most specific targeting method.

-------------------

His question is 

"However what happens if I have one URL and 3 keywords in one ad group? Do ALL of these 4 elements need to intersect before my ad shows?"

No , 1 match between the url and 1 keyword is enough to trigger an ad.

"pages that also match the theme of keywords selected (AND condition applies"

He doesn't have to use AND condition for all his keywords. 

[Later edit] Not to mention that broad keywords can generate synonims leading to "surprise" matching with pages with zero relevance like "adwords" is a misspeling of "add words" as the system is concerned.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Also he has to know that in "Managed placements" defined by the "selection of placements ( websites) " if he uses a combination of 2 keywords and 2 placements like this 

keyword 1 = 1 $ bid  ,  keyword 2 = 10 $ bid

placement 1 = 3 $ bid  ,  placement 2 = 6 $ bid

according to this rule

" If an ad is shown on the Display Network due to multiple targeting methods, AdWords uses a single bid. The majority of the time, it’ll use the bid of the most specific targeting method based on this order:

1. Placement (most specific)
  2. Age
  3. Gender
  4. Topic
  5. Interests and remarketing list
  6. Keyword (least specific)   "

A context defined by the ( keyword1 and placement2) will result in a MaxCPC of 6 $ bid because the bid priority of the placement over-rides the price bid for the keyword.

Also a context defined by the ( keyword2 and placement1) will result in a MaxCPC of 3$ because of the same thing, no matter how much the keyword bid is. So he should pay for placement1 at most what he bided.

So it doesn't matter how much you bid on keywords as long as you keep an eye on bids for specific placements ( websites )

Only if he has no manual placements ( like in the title of the thread) he can make use of keyword bids.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@ Adrian;

You are referring to the bid, while the question was about the targeting methods - On which pages / placements the ad is shown? (Assuming that the bid in high enough to win a slot.)

>>"When you add placements and keywords to an ad group to target your ads, you restrict your ads to specific sites and show them only when the content of a page is relevant to your keywords. AdWords will automatically find pages in the Display Network with content that matches your keywords, which is called contextual targeting. If a placement has multiple webpages, only pages that match your keywords can show your ads.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

He asked how "many keywords" can influence "1 placement"

Bidding decides targeting choices between 2 keywords from 2 ad groups and 1 placement in the same Display Campaign.

Let's use a simple to understand example :

He wants to target keyword1="tablet1 16 gb" in a big placement1(price comparison website) with one ad group and keywords2="tablet1 16gb 3g" in placement1 in the other ad group.

Let's say that someone searches in that "price comparison website" only for "tablet1 16 gb", thus triggering a choice between the 2 keywords, which one should the system chose ?

In a page where both contexts compete keyword1+placement1 and keyword2+placement1 , the context with a higher bid wins to display an Ad from it's ad group.

At least this is my understanding of configuring many adgroups with different keywords that might compete in a placement in the Display campaign.

I think that the system does not use all the keywords from an ad group in the display campaign in order to build a context with the AND rule, this would be like saying that if I use 4 different Interests and 1 placement, a context is triggered only when all the interests are united by the AND rule in the same placement, that is absurd.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Adrian;

There is no need to make the question complicated. It was clearly phrased: Smiley Happy

>>" However what happens if I have one URL and 3 keywords in one ad group? Do ALL of these 4 elements need to intersect before my ad shows?

Reread the question: The question was not which bid is used,. The question was whether all targeting methods intercept (=overlap) when looking for relevant pages.

I also disagree with  following sentence of yours:

>>"Let's say that someone searches in that "price comparison website" only for "tablet1 16 gb", thus triggering a choice between the 2 keywords, which one should the system chose ?"

On the display network keywords work collectively as a theme! (You can bid per individual one; but they "work" collectively as a theme to match webpages with similar themes.)

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Let me make myself more clear about how the "Targetting setting" of a Managed placement depends on the "bid"

His question is about targeting. The answer cannot be unrelated to bidding.

If we look at the description bubble for the "Targeting settings" in a managed campaign, there are 2 choices :

1) Target and bid , when his ads appears on the selected placements and

2) Bid : when his ads appear on any placement when it matches other setings 

target-and-bid-bubble.png

Also in a Managed Display Campaign where I have used many keywords, if I pull the data from analytics : Placements / secondary dimension = keyword , surprise surprise, no keywords on the "keyword" column for the matching, only "sub-pages" of the main placements. This leads me to believe that the priority of the targeting method is the "placement" subdomain inside "placement" domain , such as a sub-section Laptop of a big computer components website, not the keywords. And this is not the same thing with the "placement URL".

no-keyword-in-context.png

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

In shorter words , it all depends on how he uses the option "Target settings"

If he sets "Target settings : bid" , he breakes the connection between his 4 keywords and his placement, allowing his 4 keywords to build a context with all the placements in the Display Network.

Now am I clear enough why I rambled about bidding ?