Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

location targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I'm currently running 3 campaigns for an accommodation in Japan. One for Japanese, English and German. My first issue is that although for the first campaign I created I could set language options, that same option is not available in my other 2 campaigns. In fact the options in the settings tab for the English and German campaign are much less. Strange I think so must be overlooking something.

My second issue is that e.g. for the German campaign I want to target people who are physically located in Germany but are searching about the area we are located like accommodation,sightseeing etc. without the ads appearing to users located in our area.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Vas

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author PullGreen
September 2015

Re: location targeting

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Vas and welcome to the community,

For your language problems, when you go to your campaign settings you need to make sure the campaign type says all features. The standard campaign settings remove the language options so I think this should solve that problem for you.

For your targeting, once you changed the campaign type to all features you'll get the advanced targeting option as well. For your situation you'd probably want to use "people in your targeted location"

You can find out more about the AdWords location targeting options here.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Happy to help.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello PullGreen;

This is a nice question; language targeting is a bit tricky;

Remember that Google determines the user language, based on the user's browser settings, and set the primary language based on the Google domain- unless the user changes this.  (Each Google domain has a default primary language).

So,let's say that I speak Russian, but using an English browser interface, (i.e. switched the primary language to be English) - if I did not also set Russian as an additional language (on the browser preferences) - I would not get to see ads in Russian. (This rule has some exceptions that I do not want to get into, not to complicate further. See link below for additional reading).

In your settings, the ads will be shown to all those set German as a primary language, or as an additional one... (Those who switched German off -i.e have no German on the browser's preferences - the system would not recognize them as German speakers.)

Read more:

Adwords language targeting

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Vas and welcome to the community,

For your language problems, when you go to your campaign settings you need to make sure the campaign type says all features. The standard campaign settings remove the language options so I think this should solve that problem for you.

For your targeting, once you changed the campaign type to all features you'll get the advanced targeting option as well. For your situation you'd probably want to use "people in your targeted location"

You can find out more about the AdWords location targeting options here.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Happy to help.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks purefuzz. I get the language options now!

Will go through the link and will post if I cant get round my problem.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Continuing from my German campaign example I assume I should target Germany, Austria etc plus the area we are located and  language set to German only. Advanced location setting to people in my targetted only.

Will that show ads to German speakers who search for the area we are in ?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello PullGreen;

This is a nice question; language targeting is a bit tricky;

Remember that Google determines the user language, based on the user's browser settings, and set the primary language based on the Google domain- unless the user changes this.  (Each Google domain has a default primary language).

So,let's say that I speak Russian, but using an English browser interface, (i.e. switched the primary language to be English) - if I did not also set Russian as an additional language (on the browser preferences) - I would not get to see ads in Russian. (This rule has some exceptions that I do not want to get into, not to complicate further. See link below for additional reading).

In your settings, the ads will be shown to all those set German as a primary language, or as an additional one... (Those who switched German off -i.e have no German on the browser's preferences - the system would not recognize them as German speakers.)

Read more:

Adwords language targeting

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the answer and the link.

Definatelly worth the time reading it. Just a bit of feedback: The settings I mentioned above seem to work for what I wanted so far. All impressions are in Germany.

Thanks for the help.