Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

location exclusion or bid adjustments ?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

hi,

Please, if i make a bid adjustement on a targeted sub area (for instance a city inside a country) , decreasing by 90% the bid, this means that my ads won't be displayed at all on this area, right ? So,in a way, it's like making an exclusion from the location settings parameters  ? In fact.. I can't see the difference between both location and bid adjustement, for me it looks like the same.

Please, Could you clarify this point ?

Tks in advance..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by John Paul (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: location exclusion or bid adjustments ?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Only a -100% bid adjustment on an area would ensure no ads for that area, for that campaign. However depending on the country, location targeting could be more or less accurate so I wouldn't count on a complete exclusion of visits from an excluded location. To understand more how the Location targeting works you can read this : link

For example this is an interesting paragraph :

"Related cities

When you target a city, we may also show your ad to customers in nearby, closely related cities that normally couldn't be targeted because of low population, insufficient data about the geographic area or because city-level targeting isn't available. For example, if you target the city of Manchester, we may also show your ads to searchers in nearby suburbs of Manchester."

The different is this : with the location exclusion you get the equivalent of the -100% bid adjustment but with bid adjustments you can increase or decrease the overal bids for locations according to your signals of profitability like conversions. For example you cannot bid 30% higher for clicks in location with many successful conversions without the bid adjustment feature.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by John Paul (Google Employee)
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Only a -100% bid adjustment on an area would ensure no ads for that area, for that campaign. However depending on the country, location targeting could be more or less accurate so I wouldn't count on a complete exclusion of visits from an excluded location. To understand more how the Location targeting works you can read this : link

For example this is an interesting paragraph :

"Related cities

When you target a city, we may also show your ad to customers in nearby, closely related cities that normally couldn't be targeted because of low population, insufficient data about the geographic area or because city-level targeting isn't available. For example, if you target the city of Manchester, we may also show your ads to searchers in nearby suburbs of Manchester."

The different is this : with the location exclusion you get the equivalent of the -100% bid adjustment but with bid adjustments you can increase or decrease the overal bids for locations according to your signals of profitability like conversions. For example you cannot bid 30% higher for clicks in location with many successful conversions without the bid adjustment feature.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Adrian..

Tks for your message.

It seems that you can't make a 100% decrease with bid adjustment. I made a try successively  (from 100% to 90% : 100, 99, 98, 97 etc..) , only a decrease from 90% has been accepted, otherwise a red message error say "Please enter a larger number" .
  ...So the only advantage to use the location targeting setting compared to bid adjustement  seems to be that you can 100% exclude an area.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes you are right .