AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

linking AdWords account to Analytics account with different email address - need help pls

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I set up an Analytics account more than 5 years ago which I use to track webstats for my company.  Several years ago I started an AdWords account with the same email address as my Analytics (email address 1), but I never activated any campaigns.  Two weeks ago I started a new AdWords account with a different email address (email address 2).

My issue now is that I want to track my AdWords in Analytics, but I can't seem to get the AdWords and Analytics accounts to get along.  I've tried cancelling the AdWords account associated with email address 1 (which isn't running anyway), and then from my currently running AdWords account (email address 2) granting access to email address 1, but it says that address 1 already has an account and won't allow access.

It seems that when you "cancel" an AdWords account it doesn't actually "delete" it - just cancels all campaigns.

Now I'm generally confused - and hoping someone has some insight.

Thanks in advance!

3 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author j1544k
September 2015

Hi,   Once you re-activate your older, inactive adwords a...

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi,

Once you re-activate your older, inactive adwords account as Moshe suggested, you will want to assign an alternative (not either one of the ones you're currently using) email address to that account as an administrator so you can release the email address that is being held 'hostage'.

Here are some steps that worked for another person with a similar situation:

You're going to have to jump back and forth between accounts here. Two separate browsers should work...FF/Chrome/IE

Email address #1 - Currently assigned to analytics and dead adwords account

Email address #2 - Currently assigned to new active adwords account.

Email address #3 - You'll need this one to take over the dead adwords account. - for archiving purposes

First, you'll need an alternative gmail address (if you don't have one, create one, this will be your 3rd email address).

Log in to the old unused Adwords account with the associated email address (Email address #1) on Adwords and invite that new alternative 3rd email address as a new user on the account.

You'll need to check the new Email address #3 gmail and accept the invitation to adwords.  Once you accept the invitation, Switch back to your Email address #1 in old adwords account and assign that new user (Email address #3) as an administrator on the account.

Then, once you can verify that the new user is an administrator, disassociate the (Email address #1) original email address from the account.

You should then be able to duplicate the invite process by using Email address #2 to invite the newly freed Email address #1 to the new Adwords account.

Its a weird workaround but I think this will accomplish what you are looking to do ultimately freeing up Email Address #1 so you can link the new Adwords with your existing Analytics account.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

HI j1544k;   An alternative and easier method would be to...

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

HI j1544k;

An alternative and easier method would be to add your new email address to the Analytics account as admin, then link the two accounts.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Reactivate AdWords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

j1544k;

You are correct,: An AdWords account actually is never deleted. As a first step, I would go and reactivate the account, as shown here:

After this process is successfully completed, only then, I would link it to Analytics;

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

re: linking AdWords and Analytics accounts

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks MosheTLV,

The problem is that I'm trying to link an AdWords account that is currently running campaigns (email address 2), with an Analytics account that has been collecting data for many years (email address 1). 

But..... I realized there is also an INACTIVE AdWords account which was setup using email address 1 some time ago.

Sorry - it's a bit of a unique/confusing situation (which is why I need help Smiley Wink   )

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author j1544k
September 2015

Hi,   Once you re-activate your older, inactive adwords a...

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi,

Once you re-activate your older, inactive adwords account as Moshe suggested, you will want to assign an alternative (not either one of the ones you're currently using) email address to that account as an administrator so you can release the email address that is being held 'hostage'.

Here are some steps that worked for another person with a similar situation:

You're going to have to jump back and forth between accounts here. Two separate browsers should work...FF/Chrome/IE

Email address #1 - Currently assigned to analytics and dead adwords account

Email address #2 - Currently assigned to new active adwords account.

Email address #3 - You'll need this one to take over the dead adwords account. - for archiving purposes

First, you'll need an alternative gmail address (if you don't have one, create one, this will be your 3rd email address).

Log in to the old unused Adwords account with the associated email address (Email address #1) on Adwords and invite that new alternative 3rd email address as a new user on the account.

You'll need to check the new Email address #3 gmail and accept the invitation to adwords.  Once you accept the invitation, Switch back to your Email address #1 in old adwords account and assign that new user (Email address #3) as an administrator on the account.

Then, once you can verify that the new user is an administrator, disassociate the (Email address #1) original email address from the account.

You should then be able to duplicate the invite process by using Email address #2 to invite the newly freed Email address #1 to the new Adwords account.

Its a weird workaround but I think this will accomplish what you are looking to do ultimately freeing up Email Address #1 so you can link the new Adwords with your existing Analytics account.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

workaround

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tom.

This is genious - I never would have thought of doing it this way.

I took this approach and it looks like it will work - I can't say for sure until I start seeing AdWords data in the Analytics - which will probably show up in the next couple of days (I assume that Analytics doesn't generate retroactive stats for the AdWords campaigns which have been already running).

Thanks so much for your help with this!

Jon

Linking AdWords and Analytics

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Tom;

This is very clever and neat technique!

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

HI j1544k;   An alternative and easier method would be to...

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

HI j1544k;

An alternative and easier method would be to add your new email address to the Analytics account as admin, then link the two accounts.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Oops

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Genius (not genious)!