4.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

keyword planner estimates graph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am trying to make sense of what the keyword planner graph really indicates.

For example, if i bid a $1.00 and enter a daily budget of $1000, I get acceptable number clicks/impressions that are suitable for me (to test).  Under my above bid scenario my cost per day is $51 dollars a day, but if I change my daily budget to $100 to match what my true estimated daily cost are then the graph shades and says, "You can't get as many clicks and impressions for bids in the shaded section due to your limited budget".

What is the graph indicating in the above scenario? I do not get any more estimated clicks if my daily budget is $100 vs $1000. Will google show my ads less with a low cpc and low daily budget through the day vs a the same low cpc but a higher daily budget, even though the clicks and impressions estimates do not change.

Any help is  appreciated. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: keyword planner estimates graph

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Shaun S, Welcome to the Community,

The grey area is not only about the daily budget it is also about the bid, you could access the area in the right hand side if you raised the bid ( or if you move the bid slider to the right ) . The message is 

"You can't get as many clicks and impressions for bids in the shaded section due to your limited budget."

It means if you raise the bids you get access to more clicks from the shaded section. However raising the bids and getting more clicks automatically means increasing the daily budget. 

Now because you raised the budget from 100 to 1000 the simulation is telling you that you could also raise the bid to get more clicks because at the current bid you didn't gain all the available traffic for that daily budget.

What I would suggest for a fair analysis since this is a computer simulation only, is to not enter a daily budget. That is optional and you can look in the right hand side to what your bids would cost daily , it is an interval in the "Daily estimates " and that would be your budget. This way you never see the shaded area.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hello;
Those estimates are based on your campaigns and account history performance. They (=the estimates) have quite a large margin of error; so they should be "taken with some caution" due to the "intrinsic error" of the figures.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the reply.

So if i understand you correctly, if I bid $1 cpc and have daily budget of $100 but the graph is shaded, my ads are not showing all the time even though I am not reaching my daily budget?(which im not according to the esimator)

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

The system works like this : for example at a 1$ bid you get around X impressions (an average and an estimate) , but if you see a shaded area it means that for an increased bid for example 1.5 $ you could get more impressions for example 2X . So at 1$ your ads are showing all the time and probably use all your budget but the estimator is telling you that if you increase the bid it could serve your Ads more often. The data in the estimator could be very different in reality because you cannot predict how many clicks you will actually get, it depends on many unpredictable parameters.

[Edit] Think of this problem as to predicting how many people visit a 24/7 supermarket with 40 cash registers. You cannot anticipate with precision the sales from the offline world,  in terms of how many people or how much cash will get spent, but you can try to estimate based on data from the past.

Also please read the following metrics which will help you analyze your campaigns : link

Search Lost IS (budget): The percentage of time that your ads weren't shown on the Search Network due to insufficient budget. This data is available at the campaign level only."

In your described situation you should not have a large percentage of impressions lost to budget.

If you see in this metric a big percentage you want to increase the daily budget. Also these metrics fluctuate a lot during a year.

Search Lost IS (rank): The percentage of time that your ads weren't shown on the Search Network due to poor Ad Rank. Note: Lost IS (rank) won't be shown on your Ad groups tab if you ran out of budget at any point during the date range being examined. "

If the Review estimates has a shaded area, you would probably want to check this metric later, to see what percentage of impressions you lose because of ad rank (which can be influenced by the bid, besides the QS)

[end edit]

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
As Adrain explained, bid is not the only factor considered, Check your "search lost IS"
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’