AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

keyword misspellings

WRD
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
WRD
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi

I have a query about keyword misspellings.

Is there any benefit of including all possible variations of misspelt keywords in an ad group? I am aware that there is the option in campaign settings to 'Include plurals, misspellings and other close variants', so with this checked, is there any need to include misspellings?

Thanks for your help!

3 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author WRD
September 2015

Re: keyword misspellings

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello WRD,

It depends Smiley Happy

As far as the last update in Adwords was made where the misspellings, plural and other close variants option is given for Exact and Phrase matches, the possibility of including misspellings on your own becomes less important. That's my understanding because if that option is already tick marked, Adwords is going to show your ad on your own for any of the variations mentioned.

However, I would again suggest you to look at the search terms report and see what close variations are being matched. If you think that the variations you are concerned of are not included, you can simply include them.

Hope this helps!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi

As Pankaj suggested, since the option of close variants and misspellings was introduced, for exact match and phrase match - there is no need to add them separately;

On a search query report you could see if a close variant triggered an ad

The big benefit: removing many keywords from the keyword list. (Now included under close variants or misspelling.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello WRD,

It depends Smiley Happy

As far as the last update in Adwords was made where the misspellings, plural and other close variants option is given for Exact and Phrase matches, the possibility of including misspellings on your own becomes less important. That's my understanding because if that option is already tick marked, Adwords is going to show your ad on your own for any of the variations mentioned.

However, I would again suggest you to look at the search terms report and see what close variations are being matched. If you think that the variations you are concerned of are not included, you can simply include them.

Hope this helps!

Pankaj

WRD
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
WRD
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thank you for your help!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi

As Pankaj suggested, since the option of close variants and misspellings was introduced, for exact match and phrase match - there is no need to add them separately;

On a search query report you could see if a close variant triggered an ad

The big benefit: removing many keywords from the keyword list. (Now included under close variants or misspelling.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

WRD
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
WRD
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks, both! Very helpful.

WRD
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
WRD
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi again

I just had another thought regarding keyword variations.

If in one campaign I have keywords on exact and phrase and I've checked the 'Include plurals, misspellings and other close variants' box, would there be any benefit in also including modified broad matched keywords within the same ad group?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello again;

This is a nice question;

There is some overlapping between the two (BMM and phrase match) - as can be in the example given in the help article.

I do include BMMs on my campaign with phrase matches and exact matches, mainly because I prefer to bid higher on the latter, and better analyse the data (based on match types).

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi WRD,

In addition to valuable advice by Pankaj & Moshe, I just wanna say, If you are using Dynamic Keyword Insertion in adcopy, do not include misspell as positive keywords. Smiley Happy

More on Dynamic Keyword Insertion:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454041?hl=en

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

WRD
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
WRD
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks for your input everyone!

Very Helpful advice