AdWords
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

is a promotional text ad required for product listing ad to go live?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is a promotional text ad required (even if blank) for product listing ad to go live?    I have found that if I forget this step, I get no impressions.  Someone told me it was not required, but it seems to me that it is.   Just trying to confirm. Thanks. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: is a promotional text ad required for product listing ad to go live?

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi there Keyone, 

That's a good question! It isn't a requirement that you have a promotional line of text with your product listing ads. If you do not have a promotional line of text your ads will still be reviewed like any other and will go live if there are no issues with the targeting of the Merchant Centre feed.

Hope this helps!

A. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Alys, Thanks for the answer. It seems that if I forget to add the promo text, the targets don't go live until I do so. My campaign is older, and is a Search campaign, not a specific PLA campaign. Does that matter? Thanks again!

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Keyone, 

It doesn't make a difference if you have a promo text with your PLA, the ads will still be reviewed as normal. Also, having a hybrid campaign with text ads as well as PLAs shouldn't make a difference either. If you have your product target and a PLA in your campaign once the ad has been approved and the feed in your Merchant Centre has no problems, they should begin to serve. 

Hope this helps!

A.

Re: is a promotional text ad required for product listing ad to go liv

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Promotional text is your only Ad Copy for PLAs.  If you're creating an PLA Ad Group for each individual SKU, then you can use promotional text dynamically accross all of your products.  For example, if someone is looking for  "Mothers Day Specials" in the Google search query and your PLA promotional text includes this phrase, then your impressions will improve on search queries that include this phrase.  The challenge is that if you don't break out your PLAs down to thhe product-specific level, then you won't be able to specify which of your products are on a "Mothers Day Special."  

Re: is a promotional text ad required for product listing ad to go liv

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm yet to see this promotional text actually feature in any of the ads?

The products and their images are always bunched close together under shopping, so I don't see where there could be space to show the promo text?