AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

is Penumbra match type exists?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I read some blog where i saw writer was talking about some keyword & he was calling it Penumbra match type. The keyword formation looks very strange as officially google never told anything. It was like "Buy Shoes" -[Buy Shoes], Now will it work as keyword level negative ?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author sandeep k
September 2015

Re: is Penumbra match type exists?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Sandeep, the single word "buy shoes" -[buy shoes] is not a valid matching type for Keywords.  It could type it into Google search, though I'm not sure why you would, but it's meaningless in terms of AdWords.

Neither, having re-read your original post, is there any such thing as a "Keyword level negative".  Negatives are Keywords and are applied at either the Ad Group or Campaign level; there's no way to apply a negative to a single Keyword (unless that Keyword is the only one in a Group).

I have already described the effect of using a positive Phrase match and negative Exact match in my earlier post - it will restrict matching to search terms only where the term contains more than the words in the Phrase, e.g. it'll allow for a match against

buy shoes for tennis

buy shoes online

etc., but it won't match against just

buy shoes

Is this clearer now?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Sandeep, welcome to the Community.  I've not heard the term "penumbra match type", though from the name I can see what the purpose is.  I think the construction here is that you have a positive Keyword, phrase matched, as "buy shoes", then a negative Keyword (probably at the Group level), exact matched, of [buy shoes].

The effect of this would be to allow matches where the search term included more than the phrase "buy shoes" but not where the term is exactly buy shoes.

Jon

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
HI Cobnut,

I found that is complete keyword "buy shoes" -[buy shoes] so will it work as ad group level negative ? i doubt, if you an elaborate it why it will work as ad group level negative ?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author sandeep k
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Sandeep, the single word "buy shoes" -[buy shoes] is not a valid matching type for Keywords.  It could type it into Google search, though I'm not sure why you would, but it's meaningless in terms of AdWords.

Neither, having re-read your original post, is there any such thing as a "Keyword level negative".  Negatives are Keywords and are applied at either the Ad Group or Campaign level; there's no way to apply a negative to a single Keyword (unless that Keyword is the only one in a Group).

I have already described the effect of using a positive Phrase match and negative Exact match in my earlier post - it will restrict matching to search terms only where the term contains more than the words in the Phrase, e.g. it'll allow for a match against

buy shoes for tennis

buy shoes online

etc., but it won't match against just

buy shoes

Is this clearer now?

Jon