Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

impressions - do they cost you?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I see that there is a tool to check your ad without resulting in inmpressions

Why is this? I thought we only paid (at least in my situation) if the ad is clicked on?

Is this simply so the number of impressions doesn't become missleading due to many of them being yourself?

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: impressions - do they cost you?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi K9boxer,

Welcome to the Forum! Smiley Happy

Tool you are talking about is Adwords Ad Preview tool. It is always recommended to check ads using Ad Preview tool because checking it manually hampers your campaigngs metrics such as impressions and clicks. 

Impressions does not cost if you are running campaigns with CPC pricing model but if you are running campaign on just Display Network you can choose CPM pricing Model. 

CPC works on both network Search and Display. CPM support only display network campaigns.

CPC: cost per click

CPM: cost per thousand impressions.

Understand Bidding Basics

Hope that helps!

- Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

HI k9boxer

In addition to Neha's very useful comments,  it is best practise to use the Ad preview and Diagnosis tool, as when you view your ads on a normal search you are causing impressions and this can in turn negatively affect your Click through rate. More information about this can be found in the links below.

Ad preview and diagnosis tool

Click through rate (CTR)

Good luck! :-)

Best Regards

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi K9boxer,

Welcome to the Forum! Smiley Happy

Tool you are talking about is Adwords Ad Preview tool. It is always recommended to check ads using Ad Preview tool because checking it manually hampers your campaigngs metrics such as impressions and clicks. 

Impressions does not cost if you are running campaigns with CPC pricing model but if you are running campaign on just Display Network you can choose CPM pricing Model. 

CPC works on both network Search and Display. CPM support only display network campaigns.

CPC: cost per click

CPM: cost per thousand impressions.

Understand Bidding Basics

Hope that helps!

- Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

HI k9boxer

In addition to Neha's very useful comments,  it is best practise to use the Ad preview and Diagnosis tool, as when you view your ads on a normal search you are causing impressions and this can in turn negatively affect your Click through rate. More information about this can be found in the links below.

Ad preview and diagnosis tool

Click through rate (CTR)

Good luck! :-)

Best Regards

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
please can u help to understand this concept i could not able to advertise my website

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi k9boxer,

One other reason to use the ad preview tool. Ad and organic results could be altered by your personal browsing behavior. When you use the Ad Preview Tool, you will see more or less the same thing other users would see. When you search live, the results have often been personalized for you, even the ads.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
question to you Neha? do you pay for impressions in adwords, im not sure , just strted a new ppc with them and wondering if i do" reason is my impressions are like 330 for the keyword coffee roasters and zero clicks: so whats the scenario