Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

iOS app install using Google Analytics server-2-server integration

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Guys,

I want to track iOS app install (which I'm promoting via Adwords > Display Network campaign type > Mobile app install ).

I was reading through app install developer guide > Server to Server integration method. My question is - how do we track app install if 3rd party app analytics we're using is Google Analytics. I dint find any documentation on construct a GET request for each new user who installs your app and opens it for the first time. neither I could locate any such setting sin Google Analtics property / view.

I could locate TUNE / appanalytics.io documentation on this, but cudn't still figure out how  to track app installs if we use Google Analytics.

Is integrating Conversion Tracking SDK in the app the only way fwd here? i don't want to make any code changes to the app...

Thanks in advance for your help on this!

cheers!

/Vibhor

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Vibhor J
January 2016

Re: iOS app install using Google Analytics server-2-server integration

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Vibhor,

Thanks for posting to the Community! I'm not sure if you still need assistance with this, but since the analytics server you are using is Google Analytics, you will want to use a different solution guide from the develop guide you linked, and that one is here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3389142#NextSteps

Have you already looked at this solution? Let me know if you have questions and I would be happy to help.
Cassie

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Vibhor J
January 2016

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Vibhor,

Thanks for posting to the Community! I'm not sure if you still need assistance with this, but since the analytics server you are using is Google Analytics, you will want to use a different solution guide from the develop guide you linked, and that one is here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3389142#NextSteps

Have you already looked at this solution? Let me know if you have questions and I would be happy to help.
Cassie

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Cassie for the response.

It did help me to understand things better. Correct me if i'm wrong, but basically i've come to following conclusion:-If the analytics server we use for app installs is Google Analytics, we can only track the installations in GA. There's no way to report the conversion events to AdWords (because GA doesn't allow postbacks to AdWords network).

I had a follow up query regarding this which I posted in a seperate post here (if you can answer to that please, Thanks in advance!
https://plus.google.com/108923574922798202211/posts/K6B6SoTSmZ2

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Hi Vibhor,

I think the best way to go about this, if you want the data in AdWords, will indeed be to use the Conversion Tracking SDK.

Cassie

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
yeah thats true, but i'm just wondering why GA is able to send postbacks to host of other mobile networks but not to AW (despite both belonging to Google). There has to be certain rational behind it (it cant imagine it's technical Smiley Happy.

cheers!

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager
Hi Vibhor,

I'm not sure what the rationale is behind it, but the Conversion Tracking SDK is the solution recommended by the product team. I'm sorry that I don't have any further insight!

Cassie

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
thanks. thats ok!

is it possibly internally you can find the rational behind it pls.?
cheers!