AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

i set up a pay per call only campaign. i'm getting no clicks or impressions. my ad is approved.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am using a pay per click campaign, call only. I am trying to get clicks and hopefully calls to my business website. the estimated first page bid on all my local keywords is about 1.88, so i set my bids at $3. why am i not getting impressions and keyword clicks two days later.

1 Expert replyverified_user

i set up a pay per call only campaign. i'm getting no clicks or impressions. my ad is approved.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

How big of geographic area did you target?  What kind of keywords? Are they setup for broad match?

Many keywords are not used much in small geographies.  

Did you try using the Ad Preview and Diagnostic tool?  Also on the "Ads" page, do your ads say "Eligible"?

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

In addition to Steve's suggestions, double check the status of your ads. Click on the ads tab, and make sure you enable the policy details column. Do you see any warnings or errors there?

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

my ad is approved. i used the map and entered in zip codes to target. I also use the location in the keyword but i don't know how to make sure it's exact match if that's what i want.

for example

st peters mo remodeling

i don't know what the ad diagnostic tool is. my keyword bids are $3.00 with estimated first page being 1.88 on almost all of them. My ad is eligible. I receive no error messages at any point on adwords.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Matt D,

Steve and Tom have already covered everything well, but I wanted to add that we use Call Only ads along with other ad types. I think this is the best way to utilize them. I actually see less activity on Call Only ads from other

ad types. In tests where we paused all ad types but the Call Only ad... we still did not see anywhere near the activity we do from other ad types. 

Are you currently using a variety of ad types running, and with a variety of campaigns? Remarketing, Display and Search campaigns all would be great for you to employ.

We view Call Only ads as more of a supplemental product (to us) and for a lot of business verticals. As someone that grew up in the construction industry, I would say that your business type is one that should run each ad type... and each campaign type. Start with 1-2 ad groups with 3 ads in each and 15 keywords for each campaign. 

And put ad extensions to work, which gives us the ability to use the call extension. This may bring you more calls than the Call Only ads.

Kind Regards,

James 

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Just to elaborate on one point, of all the good info James provided -- regarding call-only ads:

Call-only ads are only displayed on mobile devices, and they format is a little different so many people don't know what to do with them; or they use them wrong, calling the wrong businesses.  I have had much better results targeting "extended text ad" format, conventional search ads to mobile device users. imho, call-only ads are sort of an experiment that hasn't been fully worked out quite yet.  But they do serve as a good compliment in some campaigns. 

And be sure to make use of all the extension types, as James pointed out -- including the new "instant messaging" extension which I expect will end up becoming a big winner.  It is just coming out of beta, is not available in all accounts quite yet.  But should be very soon. 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Well said, @Steve B! I think this entire conversation provides great insight on this AdWords product. 

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

All of your advice is excellent. Let me elaborate a bit more. 

I am working on seo and adwords to get leads for my clients. Obviously I just started experimenting with adwords. I've spent a total of 140 dollars on adwords express which I'm counting as a complete loss. I received four calls and all four of them were trying to call someone else. 

Im really really wanting to try the call only feature. I want to see which percentage of clicks turn into real calls. 

I also want to try to try different campaign types. The whole idea is getting emails and phone calls. 

Seo works but but it takes time to do right. And the volume is less. 

I have the option of paying someone to run my canpaign for me. My call only campaign is still not moving and I haven't touched anything in 5 days. 

Thanks to all for reading and replying. 

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't think the message is getting through Matt.

This is a (pardon the term but I want to make a point) frequent "beginner mistake" with AdWords:

"... I only want to generate calls so I am going to run my campaign just with call-only ads".  

That mistake reflects a misunderstanding of call-only ads, how they work, and when it is appropriate to use them.  Which is understandable, giving how they are named.  They are appropriate to use in certain situations, but they usually not a good choice to use exclusively, especially in a small campaign.  

The logic "i just want to generate calls, therefore i should use call-only ads" is basically W-R-O-N-G.  For a number of reasons which are too complex to list here (that topic would make a good blog post seriesSmiley Happy  Suffice it to say, imho I consider Call-Only ads an experiment Google has conducted which is partially successful, and they do have their uses.

I recommend you utilize extended text ads with a call ad extension and compare the results to your call-only campaign.  It's likely you will obtain better results. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your reply!

ill figure out how to do a call extension and start a search ad. I'm also going to try and learn about different types. Sounds like the call only ad is a bad idea.