AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

i got an email from "google adwords professional" is this not a scam?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I got an email from someone with "blabla@google.com" telling me that he is a google adwords professional and will help me for free to start my campaign. The thing is, he wanted me to give my ID-account number. Doesn't google employee have access to this?

is this a scam? because if this is not a scam i would like him to help me. 

here is what he wrote:

"I can check your account if you can give me your account-ID number, you
can find that number right above in the account. Then I can our link
accounts and I can look into your account. After that I can give you
further instructions."

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ferry A
September 2015

Re: i got an email from "google adwords professional" is thi

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Ferry A and welcome to the Community.  I have to say it doesn't sound like something Google would do - and if those are the exact words of the email they don't sound very Google-like either.

I certainly wouldn't recommend giving your CID to anyone - and certainly not granting Account access - without being absolutely sure of who they were.  Having said this, it is possible for someone in Google not to know your CID, so that's not a relevant issue here.

My advice would be to reply to the blabla@google.com address and ask for confirmation.  Do NOT click on any links to that address or any other links in the email, and do not just "Reply" to the mail.  Write a new email, manually entering the blabla@google.com address.  If you get a reply and it's from the person that originally mailed you, then maybe they do work for Google.

However, if you want advice on improving your Account, you can get that for free, right here, so you'd have to ask, why take that risk?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ferry A
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Ferry A and welcome to the Community.  I have to say it doesn't sound like something Google would do - and if those are the exact words of the email they don't sound very Google-like either.

I certainly wouldn't recommend giving your CID to anyone - and certainly not granting Account access - without being absolutely sure of who they were.  Having said this, it is possible for someone in Google not to know your CID, so that's not a relevant issue here.

My advice would be to reply to the blabla@google.com address and ask for confirmation.  Do NOT click on any links to that address or any other links in the email, and do not just "Reply" to the mail.  Write a new email, manually entering the blabla@google.com address.  If you get a reply and it's from the person that originally mailed you, then maybe they do work for Google.

However, if you want advice on improving your Account, you can get that for free, right here, so you'd have to ask, why take that risk?

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks! 

Well, I decided not to accept his help. The only confirmation that he provides was "as you can see I have a google account", and somehow I don't find this satisfying. Probably I just worry too much Smiley Very Happy

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I don't think you can worry too much when the security of your Account is involved.  If he was a Google employee then they need to improve their contact procedures Smiley Happy

Jon