1.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

how to select negitive keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

how to select  negitive keywords to my adgroup?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author sreenadh r
September 2015

Re: how to select negitive keywords

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Sreenadh,

I will actually use multiple methods to determine negative keywords for my campaigns.

The first two have already been touched on here:

- Using the keyword planner - well - any preliminary research you conduct will shed some light on terms that are close to your keywords but just not related at all (or enough).  I'll often note these during my research.

- Once your campaigns are running, assuming you're using a variety of "less strict" match types, your Keyword Details (Search Terms Report) is a gold mine for both positive and negative keywords.

- I will also type keywords into Google.com and see what the Auto Suggest feature has to offer.

- In line with that, sometimes, you can just run some search queries and see what the organic results look like.  I had a recent instance where a keyword, which is actually commonly spelled two different ways, would trigger very different organic results.  I discovered many negatives by simply searching the web.

- Finally, if you browse/search the web, I'm sure you can find pre-determined lists of common negatives you can pop right into your account. (free, jobs, downloads etc..)  

I would strongly suggest you review any 3rd party lists prior to uploading to ensure they are not detrimental to your account and also include variations and plurals of your negative keywords. example:  You do not want to show when search queries include the term school.  Adding -school by itself will not stop search queies for 'schools' so be sure to exclue -schools as well.

Hope this helps!

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

You can find ideas for negative keywords in the adwords keyword planner.

Siva.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi,

You can also select keywords by doing some research within your campaign, if you select the keywords tab. Once there, select from the details drop down and select > search terms > all

This will give you the keywords/phrases people are actually using to find your ad's.

From here, you can see terms you may feel are not relevant to your ad's but are costing you money.

This link could also be of assistance to you - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/105671?hl=en

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author sreenadh r
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Sreenadh,

I will actually use multiple methods to determine negative keywords for my campaigns.

The first two have already been touched on here:

- Using the keyword planner - well - any preliminary research you conduct will shed some light on terms that are close to your keywords but just not related at all (or enough).  I'll often note these during my research.

- Once your campaigns are running, assuming you're using a variety of "less strict" match types, your Keyword Details (Search Terms Report) is a gold mine for both positive and negative keywords.

- I will also type keywords into Google.com and see what the Auto Suggest feature has to offer.

- In line with that, sometimes, you can just run some search queries and see what the organic results look like.  I had a recent instance where a keyword, which is actually commonly spelled two different ways, would trigger very different organic results.  I discovered many negatives by simply searching the web.

- Finally, if you browse/search the web, I'm sure you can find pre-determined lists of common negatives you can pop right into your account. (free, jobs, downloads etc..)  

I would strongly suggest you review any 3rd party lists prior to uploading to ensure they are not detrimental to your account and also include variations and plurals of your negative keywords. example:  You do not want to show when search queries include the term school.  Adding -school by itself will not stop search queies for 'schools' so be sure to exclue -schools as well.

Hope this helps!

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’