Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

how to place ads randomly

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi There,

I'd like to use Google AdWords to recruit a random sample of Google users to complete a short opinion survey. I realize that taking a random sample is an odd thing to want to do on an ad platform that is optimized for targeted ad placement. But random placement is necessary for my purposes---viz., generalizing the results to "Google users" as opposed to "Google users who searched for 'foo'". Is random ad placement possible using Google AdWords? If so, how would I achieve that? Just by leaving out any keywords?

Thanks for taking the time to consider my questions.

-Joe Paxton

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: how to place ads randomly

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Joe,

I haven't made use of these yet but have you looked into Consumer Surveys yet?

The Display Network would be the closest you could get to 'random' but I would think you will need some parameters...language, location etc...You can also target specific interest categories...you could advertise to Google users who have interest in <some category or combination of categories> or just select some specific placements for your ads, setting your audience to users who visit 'major newspaper websites' for instance.

The search network is run from your keywords so leaving out keywords will not work for you.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Joe,

I haven't made use of these yet but have you looked into Consumer Surveys yet?

The Display Network would be the closest you could get to 'random' but I would think you will need some parameters...language, location etc...You can also target specific interest categories...you could advertise to Google users who have interest in <some category or combination of categories> or just select some specific placements for your ads, setting your audience to users who visit 'major newspaper websites' for instance.

The search network is run from your keywords so leaving out keywords will not work for you.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I'm with Tom on that.

A campaign on the Display network should be your choice, but pick a wide range of topics under audiences.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

That sounds like a heck of a fun project, keep us informed of the results! 

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni

If you're looking to survey Google users then Display Network won't be your first choice. I think you should look into Consumer Surveys, as suggested. It will be your best solution since you cannot advertise on Google without using keywords that eliminate the "random" factor you're looking for.

In short, no, you can't advertise on Google "randomly."  Smiley Happy

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*