Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

how to fill in the custom parameter values

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

We are in the process of setting up a dynamic marketing campaign. My role is essentially handing off the code the person who will implement it on the site. The code was implemented but I get the following message in AdWords, "There are problems with some of your custom parameters."

I believe the problem is that we need to know what to replace the REPLACE_WITH_VALUE with. I am not developer...and still can't seem to make sense after reading the related articles in the help sections. What am I to specifically place there? Thanks!

ecomm_prodid: REPLACE_WITH_VALUE ecomm_pagetype: REPLACE_WITH_VALUE ecomm_totalvalue: REPLACE_WITH_VALUE

5 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by JulianaS (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: how to fill in the custom parameter values

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hey Heidi -

If you are receiving a notification regarding issues with the dynamic remarketing tracking code, you should be able to receive a breakdown of the problems with the custom parameters by clicking on the "Remarketing tag" box on the upper right hand corner of the AdWords interface within Audiences > Shared Library (See here).

Specifically for the 'REPLACE_WITH_VALUE' you'll want to have the website developer replace it with the value for the attributes as seen on the actual page or included in the website's code. Here you will find a breakdown on the definition for each of the values.

As an example if you were inputting a value for the 'ecomm_total value' for a product being sold on your site for $1.99, the line in the code would look something similar to the following: 

ecomm_totalvalue: '1.99'

Feel free to reply directly to the post should you have any follow-up questions. You can additionally send an emailed report from the "Remarketing tag" box directly within your account. 

Juliana S. 

View solution in original post

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Heidi, 

I have passed this thread on to our AdWords Support team. They will post on this thread as soon as they have an answer for you. 

Thanks, 

Hannah

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by JulianaS (Google Employee)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hey Heidi -

If you are receiving a notification regarding issues with the dynamic remarketing tracking code, you should be able to receive a breakdown of the problems with the custom parameters by clicking on the "Remarketing tag" box on the upper right hand corner of the AdWords interface within Audiences > Shared Library (See here).

Specifically for the 'REPLACE_WITH_VALUE' you'll want to have the website developer replace it with the value for the attributes as seen on the actual page or included in the website's code. Here you will find a breakdown on the definition for each of the values.

As an example if you were inputting a value for the 'ecomm_total value' for a product being sold on your site for $1.99, the line in the code would look something similar to the following: 

ecomm_totalvalue: '1.99'

Feel free to reply directly to the post should you have any follow-up questions. You can additionally send an emailed report from the "Remarketing tag" box directly within your account. 

Juliana S. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Are you saying that each page has to have different code? Each product page has to have its' own code that includes its' product_id? I hope not, because that would be ridiculous. The online instructions say to paste the code once on your footer so the code will be site wide. What about these custom parameters?

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Those values need to be replaced programmatically on the server-side, not manually on each page.

Detailed instructions depend on the programming language or the e-commerce platform you use.

For instance, if you use PHP, the code might look something like that for all product pages:

ecomm_prodid: '<?php echo $product_id ?>',

ecomm_pagetype: 'product',

ecomm_totalvalue: '<?php echo $price ?>'

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Lol, I love how on each Google "help" there is this parameter example. Obviously the totalvalue parameter is the price. But we have like 8631 products. So filling the price, ID etc.,manually ain't that fun, right.
Checkout your (Google's) manual and please provide further information how to setup the code, since this example is worthless. Hint: I think Maxime T (below) provides better information in 1 step, than the whole Google Support Manual (about 12 000 pages I guess). I had to read about 30 pages to make a 3 click copy/paste path in AdWords Options. Excellent work, people!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you sooo much! I have been reading and trying to find the answer for days!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Maxime, what if we are using a javascript data element ? We're doing something like _something.getVar('thing.somethingElse'). I feel like it should work, but when i look in tag assistant it's parsing the data element as that exact text. Any ideas?

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee
Without seeing your entire code it's hard to help you, maybe you can share your website?

That said, tag assistant sometimes gets confused with complex custom javascript code. If you have any doubt, you can use other verification methods like the Chrome developer tools network panel to see the parameters as they are passed "on the wire":
https://developers.google.com/adwords-remarketing-tag/verification#devtools

how to fill in the custom parameter values

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I want to implement same for my client selling Dry Fruit Online website is Dryfruit Mart https://www.dryfruitmart.in/ I have already installed code in footer.php as it is common for all the pages just need one common code which can be replaced with,

ecomm_prodid: 'REPLACE_WITH_VALUE',
ecomm_pagetype: 'REPLACE_WITH_VALUE',
ecomm_totalvalue: 'REPLACE_WITH_VALUE',