Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

how to exclude the rest of the world except the targeted audience

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello 

May I exclude the rest of the world except my targeted cities for protecting the others to clicks? 

thanks 

3 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: how to exclude the rest of the world except the targeted audience

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Adeel
Welcome to the community.

Actually, when you target a city, Google automatically excludes the rest of the world. That's the whole purpose of geographic targeting. There are a few exceptions to this which you can tweak that may suit you though like targeting users outside your city who are searching for information about your business in your target city.

There's a really amazing help center article that covers this, with a video, in great detail here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722043

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adeel K
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Adeel
Welcome to the community.

Actually, when you target a city, Google automatically excludes the rest of the world. That's the whole purpose of geographic targeting. There are a few exceptions to this which you can tweak that may suit you though like targeting users outside your city who are searching for information about your business in your target city.

There's a really amazing help center article that covers this, with a video, in great detail here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722043

Hope that helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
if it is so why google adwords showed me the clicks of india and pakistan when i am looking the user locations

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Adeel,

This might happen if the user is outside the targeted location, but the intent of the search query is such that it might include your targeted areas.

There are various signals that are taken into consideration when Google shows your ad to the right audiences. More details are here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453995. 

Also, to me it looks like you are not using the advanced location settings (i.e. targeting by location or area of interest). I would suggest using that option in case you think that clicks are coming in from outside the physical location and most importantly are not relevant. Read this for more info: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722038

My 2 cents!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Pankaj and Dave are both right to point you towards the advanced targeting options- if you are looming to target specific cities - and only people actually in those cities rather than people interested in those cities you'll need to select the more precise targeting option rather than the looser default option.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
thanks to all for entertaining my query

my question still the some that if I want to target USA so how can I stop the traffic from other countries without using advanced setting (regarding regions and cities)

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Why would you not want to use the advanced setting - since this is what you need to achieve your expressed goal??
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adeel K
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
OK I will try

how to exclude the rest of the world except the targeted audience

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

To add to the above, and maybe be a bit more specific to the question asked:

Once you´ve set a targeted country go to the next option "Location options (advanced)".

Here you have the option to set the Target, with the standard setting being "Target