AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3K members online now
3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

how specific do you want to go with keywords in correlation with ads

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok, I'm trying to set up my campaign for my real estate business. I'm trying to breakdown my keywords to match my ads like this

campaign - my city
ad group (my city) homes for sale
ad group (my city) real estate for sale
ad group (my city) homes for sale

Now I've read you should only use keywords that match closely but my question is should I ad key words as broad as just
(my city) real estate
(my city) homes
(my city) property

or should Ii keep it only to keywords that have for sale in them. If I add the broader keywords, I'll end up with like 30 or 40 variations. Any suggestions from the gurus out there?

Thanks

Aaron

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Aaron C
November 2016

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Theresa,

Thanks for your response!  I feel like I could create 20+ adgroups on the specific key words. (each could have 6-12 specific keywords)

for example

kansas city homes for sale

kansas city mo homes for sale

KCMO homes for sale

Kansas city Ks homes for sale

kansas city missouri homes for sale.

etc

The breakdown is crazy and this is just using the word homes for sale.  Im sure my budget is a small compared to other business so I don't have the luxury of hiring someone.  Any advice is welcome on how to group them and how specific I should get.  I can't really manage 20+ adgroups, let alone the ads for them.

View solution in original post

Re: how specific do you want to go with keywords in correlation with ads

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Good morning.

Using broad match keywords can be great for discovery--for finding out precisely what search queries users are typing. (For instance, you might discover that a lot of potential clients are searching with "buy" terms, instead of "for sale" terms.) Running the broad match keywords, even for a month or two, could provide you with valuable data.

The larger question is if you have the budget to use both approaches. Some real estate keywords can get very expensive. 

If you were my client Smiley Happy I'd organize my campaign around the more precise keywords, and then I would add three separate Ad Groups, one for each of the broad match keywords listed here. I'd watch all of those and mine the data they provide. After 30-60 days, I'd probably pause them (after adding the new keywords to other Ad Groups) until/if I felt the need to do more research.

Hope that helps!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Aaron C
November 2016

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Theresa,

Thanks for your response!  I feel like I could create 20+ adgroups on the specific key words. (each could have 6-12 specific keywords)

for example

kansas city homes for sale

kansas city mo homes for sale

KCMO homes for sale

Kansas city Ks homes for sale

kansas city missouri homes for sale.

etc

The breakdown is crazy and this is just using the word homes for sale.  Im sure my budget is a small compared to other business so I don't have the luxury of hiring someone.  Any advice is welcome on how to group them and how specific I should get.  I can't really manage 20+ adgroups, let alone the ads for them.

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

The best thing you can do is pay close attention to @Theresa_Zook! She is one of the best, and has a tremendous amount of experience. Smiley Happy

You can do so much more, with so much less structure in AdWords now. A lot if the "traditional best practices" are not as necessary as they once may have been to accomplish the same goal. In fact - You could follow the approach Theresa laid out without ANY kw's. DSA campaigns don't require the use of any kw's for targeting, but you can still get that valuable search query data from the search terms report.

The more structure you have in an account, the harder it is to manage. Especially if you have limited budget, time, and experience. Keep the structure as simple as you can. Make sure you have a budget you are comfortable spending over time to accrue data and learn. Then you can find what works for you, and continue to test, isolate, and optimize your account.

Tom