AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

how much should i spend per day on ad words

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

i own a new business and am looking to gain traction. i am currently spending $10 per day on ad words . i know thats not much .. how much should i spend?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: how much should i spend per day on ad words

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there,

There are a number of factors involved...

If clicks are expensive, a $10 budget might mean that ads aren't being served for searches where the typical CPC is above $10.

If you have a variety of products or services, it is smart to begin with the one you think will perform best. That will give you a benchmark for when you promote the rest.

Otherwise your budget should be a comprise between:

Slow and careful. If you are new to AdWords, you will undoubtedly make mistakes. The smaller the budget while you learn, the less mistakes will cost.

Need business. Providing you have useful conversion tracking in place, the quicker you get enough clicks to see what is converting, the quicker you (potentially) profit from AdWords. More budget means you'll find out quicker.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @montez j,

Along with what @RobSkelton offered, which is great, I would suggest looking at display ads with a different type of targeting than keywords... if keywords are too costly to get your ads shown very often with your budget. In many locations and industries, your budget can be used just fine for search ads with keywords targeting and for others it would not. 

For some clients, average CPC with a search campaign using keyword targeting will be $2.91, yet with a display campaign using topic and placement targeting we can get $0.07 average CPC.

Also, AdWords will actually recommend an estimated daily budget.

• Your recommended budget estimates what amount is needed to accommodate the number of clicks that your ads could receive in a day, based on how much traffic is available for your current keywords.
  • If you choose a daily budget that's lower than the recommended amount, your ads can still show, but they won't show for every search. Instead, we'll spread the delivery of your ad throughout the day so that you don't exceed your budget by more than 20%.

With that said, I would say that your best bet is to determine a bid strategy based on your goals. Start with goals that focus on conversions or actions that serve your purpose for running ads. This approach should yield results, which will make spending money worth it... and quite rewarding, too. 

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

so would you not do  express?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @montez j,

That would depend on what I needed. 

Please take a look at this info and compare the features and limitations between AdWords and AdWords Express. If you have any questions, please just let us know.

Kind Regards,

James

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Montez,

i would advise that you keep your budget low as you try to learn how to use adwords. 

regards,

Zaby

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi montez j,

My answer is simple, no more than you can afford to lose while you learn the system.

Now, this does depend on your market. If your average CPC is a significant portion of your daily budget, your ad may not show at all, or impressions can be severely limited. Google does not show your ad to one person at a time. Let's say your daily budget is $10, and average CPC would be $2.90 and you've already received one click for today, you have $7.10 left in your budget, enough for about 2.5 more clicks. In this case Google may stop showing your ad or risk going over the 20% overdelivery guarantee.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords