AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

how many keywords from one advertiser can go into a single auction

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How many keywords from one advertiser can go into a single auction? If there are multiple keywords eligible to trigger the ad based on the search query matching, will all of them enter the auction? Or only one of them (the most relevant one) will enter?

The context behind my question is:

I have been building keywords based on the premise that only one of them enters the auction. For example, in an ad group, I have keywords like {+pet +gift, +gift +for +pet}. If there is a search query like {gifts for pets}, both of my keywords are eligible to trigger the ad. But my idea was that AdWords will pick up the most relevant keyword which in this case is {+gift +for +pet} and then it will only enter the auction. If my idea is wrong, then both of them will enter the auction and then there will be a scenario where one of them will lose the auction. Now that loss in auction will negatively impact the quality score of that losing keyword. So in that case, it doesn't make sense for me to keep 2 keywords. I would rather have only {+pet +gift}. 

Please throw more light into this problem. 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: how many keywords from one advertiser can go into a single auction

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Subramanian,

Every Keyword that could match the search term enters the auction, so in your example both +pet +gift and +gift +for +pet would enter, because both match against the search term gifts for pets.  Which one will win the auction depends upon many factors, which are explained in detail here:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

The key point to take away though is that a "losing" Keyword is not penalised for losing an auction.  Keyword Quality Score is influenced only by their performance in auctions they win, not in those they don't.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
If you use broad matchs modifier (+, plus sign), then you ad is activated (entered in auction) if that word is in search query.
Eg. You have +pet and your ad is activated for searches "best pet", "pet shop", etc.
And, your keywords are not competing against each other. You can have thousands of keywords, and your keywords "pet" and "gift" are not competing one against each other.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Subramanian,

Every Keyword that could match the search term enters the auction, so in your example both +pet +gift and +gift +for +pet would enter, because both match against the search term gifts for pets.  Which one will win the auction depends upon many factors, which are explained in detail here:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

The key point to take away though is that a "losing" Keyword is not penalised for losing an auction.  Keyword Quality Score is influenced only by their performance in auctions they win, not in those they don't.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I Agree with Jon "Every Keyword that could match the search term enters the auction" "losing Keyword is not penalised for losing an auction". To put some more thoughts the keywords that are loosing auctions in this case are not loosing because they are unfit to trigger but merely due to double serving (only one serve per domain per SERP results) restriction by adwords.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Subramanian,

The way it's always been explained by Google is that a mini-auction is held within your account. The eligible keyword with the highest AdRank is then entered into the general auction for placement.

The article referenced by Jon seems to indicate the same thing. Keyword CTR is the most significant factor in QS. CTR can only be calculated when there is an impression. If there is no impression, there it no effect on CTR, and, thereby, no effect on QS.

Best of luck,

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords