Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

how do i get access to the keyword planner

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've seen a lot of videos on youtube about SEO and they all tell you to go to the google keyword planner, but the page seems different now and i dont know how to get access to it. The only thing that appears when i enter the adwords page is "my first campaign" but i do not wish to make an ad yet, i only want to use the keyword planner feature.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
During Q3 2016 Google had to make a change to the keyword planning tool due to misuse. Accounts that are below a spending threshold per month are only able to see limited search volume information.

You can still use the keyword planner if you setup a campaign, and it's full capabilities will start to be unlocked as you utilize ad spend. 

hth

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Rodrigo A,

As Steve as correctly stated, without a fully created AdWords account, access will not be given. AdWords Keyword Planner is dependent upon a AdWords campaign to work correctly. Google is always revising and improving their systems and this is one of those advancements.

What many people do not realize is that Google created a new tool called Google Trends for those that want to learn more about a marketing audience, yet they do not wish to use AdWords. The keyword planner is now useless for those that do not use AdWords, which is why access was removed for non-use. 

Kind Regards,

James

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Rodrigo A

To access the keyword planner just start your first campaign and pause them however as soon as you create one that will not run immediately, it takes time for review and approval process and with out creating a campaign you would be able to access the campaign Management page where you have all these features Keyword planner and much more. 

Google internal  support functions and departments has an option to get you access without creating a campaign but then i would suggest just try creating a test campaign and pause them to use these features