AdWords
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

how do I understand the word "well" in the ad relevance definition?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

By ad relevance definition, it is said, ad relevance is "how well your keyword matches the message in your ads", how do I understand the word "well" in the description?

I have this question when I use keyword planner. When I search for keyword ideas, the keyword list is ranked by relevance. I don't quite understand the rank system by relevance. 

For example, I search the word "entrepreneurship", it comes out with "what is entrepreneurship" in the first place, "social entrepreneurship", "business entrepreneurship" as second and third, while the search volume of "social entrepreneurship" is highest. I understand relevance is not search volume, but I am wondering if there is a mathematical model behind relevance ranking?  

Thanks for any answers.

Happy Holiday!

Meng

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: how do I understand the word "well" in the ad relevance

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Meng;

There is mathematical modeling, though not perfect, in which Google tries to define relevance  between a keyword and  a given content on a a given  webpage. (aka contextual targeting)

However; When Google lists suggestions for keywords they are listed by their  popularity / usage among advertisers.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: how do I understand the word "well" in the ad relevance

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Meng, I'm not sure if this will help, but with organic listings, Google tries hard to understand what the search user wanted to find, and uses sophisticated algorithms, plus a lot of historical data to predict this.  As a simple example, searches for "blue suede shoes" and "blue suede shoes size 10" are very similar, but it's likely that the first term is more commonly used by people looking for the Elvis song, while the second is obviously someone looking to buy footwear.

When thinking about Ad relevance for AdWords, it's much the same process; do your Keywords and Ads match search terms that have an intent that matches the intent of the searcher?  If you sell shoes, some of which are blue and suede, someone searching for the lyrics to "Blue Suede Shoes" is going to find your site entirely irrelevant, so it's worth thinking about using negatives and extended (longer tail) Keywords to ensure people see your Ads who want to buy shoes, not read the lyrics or download the MP3.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits