AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

how do I start a campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have three campaigns set up; the campaigns are 'enabled', my bid has been set to the level that most of the keywords within each ad group shows as 'eligible', my billing is set up and I owe nothing and have a note that I will be billed when my total reaches a certain figure or if not after 30 days ...

But nothing is happening - the ads are not being served (no impressions).

There doesn't seem to be any 'Go' button or am I missing something ... how do I get these campaigns actually running (not just set up)?

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: how do I start a campaign

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi David,

Can you please check "Ads" tab and see if all ads are approved? How old are these campaigns? If these are search campaigns, you can use "Ad preview and diagnosis" tool under tools and analysis drop down and try some queries to check if ads are showing.

You will get to see some warning as well if ads aren't showing and this way you will get the why they aren't showing up.

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Neha

Looking at a selection of different ads, I can say:

Yes, in the status column it is 'approved'

This campaign was set up 2 days ago

When I click on the little message box immediately above the 'approved' word I am informed the ad is not running

Going to the Ad Preview and Analysis tool and trying different permutations I get the same answer - no my ad is not running. This is appended by the startlingly helpful comment 'there are a number of reasons why this happens'. Great! But I need to know why it's happening in my case!

I did also check out my targeting and I am targeting all areas/locations, in English, on a keyword selection that the Keyword Planner estimates 130 - 300 searched per day for one of the keywords I am targeting - and my bid is higher than the minimum recommended amount for over 30 keywords so it's not conceivable that there is not even a single impression recorded, let alone any clicks.

There is a switch or setting either at my end or Google's end that is preventing this from happening I am sure - as it applies to three quite separate campaigns.

Any ideas more specific than 'there are a number of reasons why this happens' would be appreciated!

Thanks

David

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi David,

From what Ive read so far, your campaigns seem to be setup correctly. Could you just elaborate on this part from your last post, "I did also check out my targeting and I am targeting all areas/locations, in English, on a keyword selection that the Keyword Planner estimates 130 - 300 searched per day for one of the keywords I am targeting "

Can you tell us the area/locations you are targeting? Maybe we may be able to find the problem then.

Cheers!

Shashank

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for helping Shashank

It's a fairly broad niche - melasma/hyper pigmentation treatment and the geolocation setting is 'all' - here are the campaign settings:

Campaign settings

Campaign name
Melasma Dec14Edit
Type
Search Network with Display Select - StandardEdit

Networks
AllEdit

Devices
All
Change mobile bid adjustment »

Locations
Targeted locations:
All countries and states/territories
Edit

Languages
EnglishEdit

Bid strategy
Focus on clicks, manual maximum CPC biddingEdit
Change ad group bids »
Budget
฿300.00/dayEdit

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hi David,

Thanks for sharing this here. I can see 3 possible reasons as to why your ads are not being served/ you are not recording any traffic in your account.

1. Melasma/hyper pigmentation treatment

Can you please check if AdWords allows advertising of treatments in your country? There is a strict policy against advertising anything related to Medicine, getting this double checked could help you understand your problem. You mentioned that all your ads were approved, which is a sign that your ads were not disapproved due to affiliation with Medicine but I would keep an eye out on the ad status and if and when any of the ads get disapproved or have limited approval, I would get in touch with a Google Rep to rectify it.

2. Targeted Locations - All Countries and States/Territories

Ideally, you should not be targeting all of the countries that you are allowed to target in AdWords. If you are looking to promote your business, you should perhaps start locally first, then move on to larger geographies.

If you have a large enough budget, you may even start out with the State and then if you are advertising for a franchise, maybe you can move on to prominent locations where your brand has a branch.

To put this simply, if you target all the counties together, your daily budget, keyword bid is not going to be high enough to win/ or enter any ad auction. Try starting out with perhaps a small geo like a city and then progress as per your campaigns performance.

3. Budget - 300.00/day

If you are targeting all countries in your AdWords account, you cannot run it with such a low budget, your daily budget needs to substantial enough for you to be able to serve ads across the geo and comfortably last through out the day.

I suggest, you begin by re working on your strategy and start out with a smaller location with a high enough budget and then move on to other locations.

Do give this a try and see if things change. Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"