877 members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

how do I only target .com websites for the display network

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I set up a display ad and its running all over the world even though my campaign setting say US and english only. One thing that could eliminate a lot of the sites I don't want is to only display on sites that have a .com in the URL.

I see under placements there's an option to filter but I'm not sure if I'm just filtering the "view" or if the filter is actually only showing my ads on .com websites?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
February 2017

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@Shawn D

To my knowledge there is not a TLD filter.  Is TLD how you are establishing that your ads are being served all over the world?  There are many reasons for people in the USA to view sites that are related to another country.  If you have targeted USA only, then I'm sure you'll see that's the vast majority of where your traffic is from.  

You can verify this two ways.  In the Dimensions tab, and then selecting User location.  Two being in Analytics by driling into All Traffic --> Channels --> Display, and then setting your secondary dimension to Country.

If you're not liking the sites you are seeing in placement reports, it's easy to exclude them.  You may want to consider adjusting your other targeting methods as well.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
February 2017

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@Shawn D

To my knowledge there is not a TLD filter.  Is TLD how you are establishing that your ads are being served all over the world?  There are many reasons for people in the USA to view sites that are related to another country.  If you have targeted USA only, then I'm sure you'll see that's the vast majority of where your traffic is from.  

You can verify this two ways.  In the Dimensions tab, and then selecting User location.  Two being in Analytics by driling into All Traffic --> Channels --> Display, and then setting your secondary dimension to Country.

If you're not liking the sites you are seeing in placement reports, it's easy to exclude them.  You may want to consider adjusting your other targeting methods as well.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply

I have excluded a lot of sites such as these

bongda.com.vn

cancan.ro

mojevideo.sk

.sk is the Internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for Slovakia

.ro is the Internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for Romania.

It would be easier if I could just make a filter to only place ads on .com sites. I see where i can exclude countries but I'm not sure why I need to do this. my adwords and shopping feeds aren't having this problem

In my campaign settings I have this

Targeted locations: United States (country)

What languages do your customers speak? English

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

@Shawn D

I think you have it way too broad.  Although you have picked English as the language, that's referring to the viewer, not the content of the website. It's reasonable that some people in the USA are capable of speaking other languages besides English.

I think you should consider adding some keywords to your campaign that are related to your ad, or people reading content related to those keywords might be interested in your ad.

This is going to basically tell Adwords you only want your ads on sites and pages of sites that contain those words.  This is a way to ensure that your ads appear on sites in English.

Another option to consider by itself or even in conjunction with keywords is Topic targeting. This lets you choose themes that sites pertain to. Some examples are News Sites and Sporting Sites.  You can add many topics to one campaign, and view each topic in its own row for analysis performance.  Same goes for keywords.  More details on that here: https://support.google.com/partners/answer/2769377?hl=en

While your product/service may be in general interest, it's still best to test these targeting options to find out where your spend is optimal.

I think you'll be happier with your placement reports if you implement these changes.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I Switched to managed websites to only show on websites that I pick. this seems to be a better option for the specific product im selling.