Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

help with choosing the right targeting method

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm in the middle of creating a new ad group for a display network campaign, I know how I want the campaign to work, but I don't know how to achieve it.

This is an example of the scenario I want to achieve:

1) A car company named 'cars123' has an adwords campaign, and one of their keywords is 'economic car'.

2) Let's say you go to  google.com and you search for 'economic car' (but you don't visit 'cars123' website, you visit other websites from the results).

3) Later that day you go to a website which gives away free cake recipes, and this website makes revenue via adsense. when you reach that recipes website you see an image ad of 'cars123'.

we all familiar with this scenario that we feel like google is 'following' us and remember what we searched earlier (-:

on the new ad group page under the title 'Choose how to target your ads' I have 3 options:

1) Display keywords – show ads on sites related to your keywords.
2) Interests & remarketing – show ads to people based on their interests.
3) Use a different targeting method.

What should I choose from these options to achieve the scenario I described above?
(I'm 'cars123' in that example, since i'm a new brand the user has never been to my website, so retargeting is not relevant).

Thank You!

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: help with choosing the right targeting method

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
HI

The scenario you asked is display remarketing but its not possible without user visiting your site. Google shows ads to the people who visited u r site like that by storing a cookie file, However as u asking without user visiting u r site its not possible.

By using display keywords u can achieve some sort of success but it wont be the scenario u explained right now

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
ido r
As Nisal explained. Your example is not possible. The following around is based on "remarketing" or as you called it retargeting. It is based on a cookie placed once someone visits your website or specific landing page ( based on how you set up the remarketing tags)

In the Display network you can use Managed Placements, in which you pick the websites you would like to appear, and bid enough to win the slots.

You can pick Display keywords so that the "adsense" sites that have content close to your Keywords will show your Ad if your bid is high enough to win a slot.

The question you should ask yourself, however, is what are you attempting to achieve as far as a conversion? What are your goals? Are you selling something, or lead generation or just branding your site in general? Is the display network the best use of your Budget, to bring in highly qualified people who are interested in purchasing your goods and services at the moment? Are you using display as an earlier sales funnel approach to get people to recognize your brand prior to their immediate buying needs?

To best utilize a scenario you describe would be to set up Remarketing in which you can drive traffic back to website based upon them having been to your website in the past. This is the method many of us use in the Display network to acheive a reinforcement of our product/brand in the cheapest possible way.

Be sure you understand the display network fully and make the best ROI decisions that will accomplish your goals.

Some thing to read
http://www.google.com/ads/innovations/remarketing.html

Using remarketing to reach people who visited your site or app
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453998?hl=en

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I agree with   @Nisal L on this;

The targeting method you are asking about is known as "classic Remarketing on the display network". (Not to be confused with: Remaketing List for Search Ads, RLSA)

For Remarketing, a pre-condition,  is that the user visits the site, and a cookie is stored on the browser.

The other targeting methods you listed are "direct" targeting methods based on  website content (= topics) or users' area of interests (=aka interests) or based on a Keywords theme (i.e.  Contextual   targeting)

Read more:

The Display Network tab

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Ohhh... I posted at the same minute as Eric... Smiley Happy
Anyway, you have now, a full and detailed explanation, from all 3 of us... Smiley Happy
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you moshe, nisal and eric.

My web application is free and I make money via adsense.
So a conversion for me is when a user has registered after visiting my landing page.

I investigated a bit deeper and found that keywords targeting in the display network will achieve my goal:
"Sometimes your ads may show on placements that seem unrelated to the keywords that you’re targeting. In cases like these, it’s possible that your ads are being shown to someone based on their recent browsing history or other factors, rather than the content of the page they’re currently viewing. So, your ads are still relevant to the person seeing them."

That's the link to the quote above: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404186

Thank You for your help!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Ido ;

When using keywords as a targeting method, I recommend to add another targeting method (e.g. Topics), to narrow the audience targeted. Keywords alone could be too broad (in matching  web pages to the theme of the keywords)

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Ido ;

When using keywords as a targeting method, I recommend to add another targeting method (e.g. Topics), to narrow the audience targeted. Keywords alone could be too broad (in matching  web-pages to the theme of the keywords).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank for your advice!
I added a new ad group with interest based targeting, does that what you mean?
or you meant interested based with keywords in the same ad group?
how does google decides when to show ads if I have 2 ad groups with different targeting,
am I "competing with myself" in the auction?

Thank you very much!

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Ido
Nope;
This is not what I mean Smiley Surprised
What I mean is to target by keywords AND another targeting method. 

Read the relevant section in the help center.

Targeting settings on the Display Network

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1209882?hl=en