Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

help on ppc please please please

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a dilemma - we have a PPC campaign - some days we can have a really good day and even 2 good weeks... for example

for 2 weeks solid we took 4k which for a new business is good

Then we had an agency take over and they created loads of campaigns and separated all the keywords into groups - which is correct as we have 70 keywords in 1 ad group... so they split it up.

They then put all keywords and in on Broad Match Modifier - every keyword had a plus in front so +baby +gift +hampers and +baby +gifts etc etc.

They also added the same keywords that were in each add group as negatives on exact match (not sure why they did this - can you tell me??

they launched and they ad group plummeted... not sales and not much action - I am presuming the negatives had an impact as I can for the life of me understand why they would put all the same keywords that were broad match modified in on negatives.

we sacked them off and ever since we have tried to get the campaign back to how we had it set up... so we have copied the keywords that converted and brought in 4k in 2 weeks back in to how it was.... however our sales are so inconsistent some days we take £700 some days nothing...

My thinking is that on some days other keywords are showing more than the converting keywords and spending the budget... But I have tried just having all the keywords that converted over the 2 good weeks turned on and still no real sales.

I know its not our industry as I have been informed that our completion is doing very very well and operate out of business premises... additionally our prices are roughly the same, our products are nicer and our website is nicer *I have been told)

I really do think we have issues with our campaign as one day or week is really good the next week or 2 could be really bad, I am sure its our campaign as our competitors are showing everyday all day... but I cannot find the answers or get my ppc right

so I have a few questions...

we sell

baby gift baskets

baby gift hampers

baby gifts

1. If i separate all the ad groups and keywords which I have for example into

Hampers

Baskets

Newborn

New

UK

and even more than the above

2. How do I stop a

'baby gift' Ad from showing when someone searches for 'baby gift basket'? as I cannot put in baby, gift, as a negative?

would I use broad match modifier for example

baby gift baskets or hampers ad group - baby gift +basket and baby gift +hamper

and on the baby gift ad group - +baby +gift and add a negative basket and hamper

3. What negative match type is best? phase, exact, broad?

4. I currently have all keywords set at the same bid - should I set them all differently based on the average CPC?

5. Please Please can someone help - we have used 2 agancies and they mess it up straight away and we cannot afford to keep wasting money....

an example is we can spend £90 and take nearly £700 then the next day we can spend £160 and get nothing..

I am convinced it is our campaign... conflicting 'baby gifts' keywords and ads with 'baby gift baskets' and 'baby gift hampers' ads and keywords

1 Expert replyverified_user

help on PPC please

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a dilemma - we have a PPC campaign - some days we can have a really good day and even 2 good weeks... for example

for 2 weeks solid we took 4k which for a new business is good

Then we had an agency take over and they created loads of campaigns and separated all the keywords into groups - which is correct as we have 70 keywords in 1 ad group... so they split it up.

They then put all keywords and in on Broad Match Modifier - every keyword had a plus in front so +baby +gift +hampers and +baby +gifts etc etc.

They also added the same keywords that were in each add group as negatives on exact match (not sure why they did this - can you tell me??

they launched and they ad group plummeted... not sales and not much action - I am presuming the negatives had an impact as I can for the life of me understand why they would put all the same keywords that were broad match modified in on negatives.

we sacked them off and ever since we have tried to get the campaign back to how we had it set up... so we have copied the keywords that converted and brought in 4k in 2 weeks back in to how it was.... however our sales are so inconsistent some days we take £700 some days nothing...

My thinking is that on some days other keywords are showing more than the converting keywords and spending the budget... But I have tried just having all the keywords that converted over the 2 good weeks turned on and still no real sales.

I know its not our industry as I have been informed that our completion is doing very very well and operate out of business premises... additionally our prices are roughly the same, our products are nicer and our website is nicer *I have been told)

I really do think we have issues with our campaign as one day or week is really good the next week or 2 could be really bad, I am sure its our campaign as our competitors are showing everyday all day... but I cannot find the answers or get my ppc right

so I have a few questions...

we sell

baby gift baskets

baby gift hampers

baby gifts

1. If i separate all the ad groups and keywords which I have for example into

Hampers

Baskets

Newborn

New

UK

and even more than the above

2. How do I stop a

'baby gift' Ad from showing when someone searches for 'baby gift basket'? as I cannot put in baby, gift, as a negative?

and on the baby gift ad group - +baby +gift and add a negative basket and hamper

3. What negative match type is best? phase, exact, broad?

4. I currently have all keywords set at the same bid - should I set them all differently based on the average CPC?

5. Please Please can someone help - we have used 2 agancies and they mess it up straight away and we cannot afford to keep wasting money....

an example is we can spend £90 and take nearly £700 then the next day we can spend £160 and get nothing..

I am convinced it is our campaign... conflicting 'baby gifts' keywords and ads with 'baby gift baskets' and 'baby gift hampers' ads and keywords

Re: help on PPC please

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning - 

You've asked a lot of questions. Smiley Happy Let me see if I can answer a few of them in a way that makes sense to you.

1. That sounds like a sensible way to organize your keywords, yes. 

2. When someone searches for "baby gift basket" the AdWords system checks for eligible ads and those that "win" the right to compete in the ad auction will be shown. You can adjust which of your ads are eligible for different searches with negative keywords.  

For example, if you don't want your "baby gift" ads to be triggered for "baby gift baskets" searches, you would add [baby gift baskets] as a negative keyword to the Ad Group with your "baby gift" ads in it. That will block that Ad Group from competing in auctions for those searches. (You are correct that you don't want to add "baby gift baskets" as a negative keyword at the campaign level, but adding negative keywords at the Ad Group level helps you control which ads are triggered for which searches.)

3. What negative match type is best depends on why you're adding a particular keyword as a negative. If you don't have anything you give away, then you probably want to add free as a negative broad match. In the Ad Group example above, you only wanted to block a specific search, so I suggested that you add that negative as exact match.

4. Different keywords in one campaign very often have different bids. This is not necessarily linked to "average CPC."  More often, it's linked to how expensive each keyword is (that is, how high you need to bid to be competitive and let your ad win ad auctions) and/or how important the keyword is to you (how profitable).

In closing, let me add that it is not at all unusual for a campaign to perform very differently on different days. Some markets perform better some days of the week than others. Some markets perform better during some weeks of the month than others. I would suggest that, especially now, while you're still building your campaign, comparing results day-by-day is simply too short a time frame to be meaningful. 

Decide your campaign structure, including keywords, negative keywords (campaign and Ad Group level), bids, and ads. Activate this campaign structure, then let it "settle" for a few days before you start making edits. When you have enough data to be statistically significant, then decide what changes you want to test, make them, and then wait again.  The important thing is that at each step you stop making edits for long enough to really understand the impact of each round of changes. 

Please post again if you still have questions!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi

Thank you for taking your time to reply. I do have a couple of questions

Are you saying that if you add [baby gift baskets] to the baby gifts campaign it will not stop the keyword "baby gift" from showing in the 'baby gift' ad group?

what do you mean by free as a negative? do you mean broad keyword, as negative?

Would you suggest bidding the same on all keywords or separate on each?

could you give me any answer on the broad match modifier question below:

and what match type negative keywords would you add to a broad match modifier ad group?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning.

Rather than trying to rewrite the explanation, I suggest you read the these articles on Negative Keywords. Negative keywords can be added, as I said, at the Ad Group level, which will block search terms from being matched to that Ad Group's keywords but not keywords in other Ad Groups. The articles also discuss what match types to use for negative keywords.

The example using free was just that--an example.

I would suggest that you set your keyword bids to what you're willing to pay for a click. It's normal for different keywords to have different click costs. Many advertisers set one bid at the Ad Group level but also adjust certain keywords inside that Ad Group to have slightly lower (or higher) bids, depending on the competitive level for bids and on how important the keyword is to them. 

Reviewing the information on negative keywords should also help you make decisions about negatives for your broad match question.

I would strongly recommend that you take the time to review the information in the AdWords Help center, before you continue spending on advertising. As you're already seeing, it's possible to spend a lot of money without getting the return you want/need, if you're not quite sure of what you're doing.

I hope some of this is useful!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Thanks for the above....

Could you answer 2 questions for me.

I am using broad match modifier... would you suggest I use negative exact match keywords? so [negative keyword]

additionally:

Lets say I have a campaign with 10 exact keywords in and I have another campaign with the same keywords that are in the exact match campaign, but these are set to broad match modified or phase match. Would you add the exact match keywords in as a negative on the BMM or Phase campaign?.. would this work so that there is no conflicting keywords.. i.e one being given preference?