2.6K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

google analytics and google adwords statistics

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I have a problem, that Google Analytics doesn't resolve the clicks from the same countries as Google Adwords.

It is not crawlers or other clicks,
because for the same date+hour (that happens almost for each hour) I got same no. of clicks from Google Adwords, and no. of clicks from Google Analytics.

i.e.
In specific hour of day, I got 5 clicks, that is shown both from Google Adwords and Google Analytics.

Google Adwords shows 5 clicks from Kenia,
Google Analytics shows 3 clicks from Kenia and 2 from US
(pay attention that the no. of clicks are exactly the same).

In Kenia Campaign -> Settings -> All settings -> Location options (advanced) I have checked:
Target: People in my targeted location
Exclude: People in my excluded location.

So, the above doesn't make sense, unless Google Analytics doesn't show the location where the clicks were from - so, there must be a way I can show on google analytics the place of the user-ip (if it shows otherwise).

Also, if Google Analytics shows clicks from the user locations same as my declaration for Google Adwords, there might be a big problem.

I did trace for the ip-locations, and find out that my trace was the same as Google Analytics.
Anywaym, it can also be a kind of problem in Google Adwords,

Thanks Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eitan M
September 2015

Re: google analytics and google adwords statistics

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

I would recommend to read the following article about "Data discrepancies between AdWords and Analytic"
(This is  a prime / substantial topic for users who link Adwords and analytics. It that requires some attention and reading in a quite place  over a cup of coffee...  Smiley Surprised  )

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Eitan,

The reason you're seeing this is because of how Google AdWords serves ads to users in a specific geographic location who are searching for content that is specific to another geographic location.  If you are targeting Kenia and I am in the USA doing searches specific to Kenia, AdWords will display your Ads to me (even though I'm in the US), because I'm searching for information about Kenia.

In this particular case, I'd imagine that a searcher is probably typing in "Kenia" or another specific city/geographic area in their query.

Per AdWords Help: "If the AdWords system detects geographic areas that someone is interested in, we may show appropriate ads targeted to that area (known as location of interest), even if the person isn't physically located in the location.

How AdWords Ads are Matched to Geographic Locations

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
What I put on the campaign is:
In Kenia Campaign -> Settings -> All settings -> Location options (advanced) I have checked:

So, the campaign shall be always for the ones in "Kenia" only.

I presume there may be any delay for last declaration I made (I did that yesterday) - is it true?

Thanks Smiley Happy

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
To follow with Brian's great answer, you should also know that there's a data discrepancy between AdWords and Anayltics. Please, have a look at this article: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034383?hl=en

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Again. I did setup in ADWORDS as following:

Doens't this matter?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Yes, It will only show your ads for people physically located in Kenia. If people outside Kenia include terms related to your targeted locations in their searches, they will not see your ads.

Do you have any places inside kenia you want to exclude?
There's no need to exclude countries that you haven't already targeted, Google won't show your ads in places unless you explicitly target them.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Could you clarify what do you mean "Analytics showed clicks"? Analytics report visits. (Which are not the same as clicks)
OR  you meant that  analytics and Adwords are linked, and you are saying that reporting in the Adwords UI is different reporting than the Adwords section of Anlaytics? (This  is unlikely to happen after all servers are synced - after 24hrs.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I meant visits.
If there is a delay after changing configuration, then it is obvious that I shall wait a after changing configuration as I did yesterday - (even the Google support team said the changes take affect immediately), since I have seen for the past 6 hours, there were clicks from the countries which the campaigns are related to (I know there were addwords-clicks and not just views, because the number of clicks+view were the same for a specific hour).

Thanks Smiley Happy
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eitan M
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

I would recommend to read the following article about "Data discrepancies between AdWords and Analytic"
(This is  a prime / substantial topic for users who link Adwords and analytics. It that requires some attention and reading in a quite place  over a cup of coffee...  Smiley Surprised  )

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello,

I have checked yesterday analytics+adwords lot of discrepancies between Analytics and Adwords (even I check and read what are the discrepancies on https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034383?hl=en - that's doesn't make sense).

Here are my statistics conclusion, and some assumptions ...
23 - adwords 0, analytics 2 (valid 0) not locale countries
22 - adwords 1, analytics 3 (valid 0) not locale countries
21 - adowrds 3, analytics 2 (valid 0) not locale countries
20 - adowrds 0, analytics 0 (valid 0)
19 - adowrds 2, analytics 1 (valid 1) not locale countries *
18 - adwords 1, analytics 2 (valid 1) not locale countries *
17 - adwords 0, analytics 1 (vaiid 0)
16 - adwords 0, analytics 3 (valid 0)
15 - adwords 3, analytics 1 (valid 1) *
14 - adwords 0, analytics 1 (valid 0) not locale countries
13 - adwords 4, analytics 4 (valid 2) not locale countries *
12 - adwords 1, analytics 2 (valid 1) *
11 - adwords 4, analytics 2 (valid 1) not locale countries *
10 - adwords 3, analytics 2 (valid 1) not locale country - both sri laka.
9 - adwords 2, analytics 1 (valid 1) *
8 - adwords 0, analytics 0 (valid 0)
7 - adwords 0, analytics 0 (valid 0)
6 - adwords 0, analytics 1 (valid 0) locale country
5 - adwords 2, analytics 2 (valid 2) *
4 - adwords 0, analytics 1 (valid 0) locale country
3 - adwords 0, analytics 1 (valid 0) locale country
2 - adwords 0, analytics 1 (valid 0) not locale
1 - adwords 0, analytics 0 (valid 0)
0 - adwords 1, analytics 1 (valid 1) *

When there is discrepancies between adwords and analytics.
1. When there were countries mismatch - I put a remark that it is not locale country.
2. You can see that there are time were ADWORDS counts clicks and ANALYTICS doesn't. Also vice versa.

Only 13 shared clicks (that related to ANALYTICS and ADWORDS).
There cannot be too much discrepancies.

[analytics] - [shared intersection] + [adwords] = 33 - 13 + 27 = 47 (clicks on both analytics and adwords).

1. There are ADWORDS clicks with no ANALYTICS session count, and vice versa.
2. As I checked the intersection between ADWORDS and ANALYTICS there were 13 that match criteria.
3. The above mean that there were 14 ADWORDS missed clicks and 20 extra session count of ANALYTICS.
I presume that the difference between ADWORDS clicks and session count of ANALYTICS is less that 20-14=6, since I have checked by myself and some organic or hosting domain, who know the site (may be zero deference in one day).
4. There were no falls on my site last day.

5. Also, I did the statistic for several days - the ratio percents between good clicks and the whole clicks - there is decline every day - That's doesn't make sense, unless there is a kind of ROBOT ...

That's why the following assumption:
May be sophisticated robot, that raise clicks on ADWORDS (and not on ANALYTICS at the same time), and raise ANALYTICS sessions count - The raise may be the same for the same day, so people won't suspect this behavior.
It is only assumption, but this happens same again and again each day - This look very suspicious.

Help me, in advance, please.