AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

google adwords ban affiliate marketing ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hey , i'm new in this PPC site  and i want to know that adword really ban the affiliate programs or i can still make a campaign using my affiliate link generated from CLICKBANK , CJ etc.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Ratan-Jha (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: google adwords ban affiliate marketing ?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

there is no such explicit ban.

however, most affiliate related content and programs cannot
meet all of the related rules, policies, and requirements, for
advertising and therefore can be rather easily suspended.

a suspension can be permanent.

see also
https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6008942
https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6020954?#318
https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6020954?#701

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Ratan-Jha (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

there is no such explicit ban.

however, most affiliate related content and programs cannot
meet all of the related rules, policies, and requirements, for
advertising and therefore can be rather easily suspended.

a suspension can be permanent.

see also
https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6008942
https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6020954?#318
https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6020954?#701

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hah 'most affiliates dont meet the requiremnts'... i've heard so many times google say 'affiliates are bad user experience'. Why do you think that reading reviews and comments with the right disclosure before buying something is bad user experience? Thats what we all do before we buy stuff.

i got this from adwords "I asked them what you could do to fix the issues and they told me to have you remove these bridging links {links}" (thats on a website with many pages and only 4 affiliate links)

Tell me why reading a review with a link at the end is bad but reading the same review without a link and a text that says 'if you wish to buy, please open a new tab, go to google, search for the same thing but click on a different link" is okay?

I know why google thinks its bad user experience... because they want to discourage people from doing affiliate marketing and thus force the brands to reach out and use google sponsorship.

lies.jpg

this shows your idea of good user experience.... a cra**y link with a fat price tag on it.... in truth, affiliates like me and probably the person who started this topic offer better user experience than you guys... because we offer opinions, comments and ideas and we inform the people about the items they are about to buy.... and your idea of user experience is a link with a big price tag.

If this sponsored add is considered like an adwords add, then you are not even following your own rules... you make these policies that you do not follow and enforce them on us in attempt to deny us traffic... thats gaming the system on itself.

Google is so big that if i say every bit of info goes thru you it would probably be true. That means your priorities should extend beyond money. I dont mind you doing your own affiliate marketing but please, allow us to compete with you instead of shutting us off.

P.S. - another amazing thing was google saying "why should you visit a website that talkes about another website instead of just visiting that website" and the answer is because people want to learn more and most of the merchant websites simply dont offer much beyound prices and basic details... so please dont use that to cover up your low quality, poor user experience, bridge (because the sponosred add is just a bridge to the merchant without any additional info) affiliate marketing.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

PPC marketing method is a complicated advertising platform. It cost money. The main purpose of advertising on Google is to give google users something informative/helpful to users. The aim is to allow users to take an informed buying decision. It allows any advertiser, affiliate marketers alike to advertise products, but advertising rules must be followed.  

My suggestion to you is that you need to learn how to use PPC marketing the right way, and Affiliate Marketing in particular. 

<edited by a Community Manager as noted below>

Note: this post has been edited by a Community Manager, per Community Posting Guidelines, in order to remove a possibly promotional link to unverified outside content.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The main purpose of advertising on Google is to give google users something informative/helpful to users. The aim is to allow users to take an informed buying decision. It allows any advertiser, affiliate marketers alike to advertise products, but advertising rules must be followed.  

That sounds so true. Before we buy we all go around and search for more information and try to compare two products and what not. Google makes rules like "your website must not be a bridge, must have unique content, must have high quality articles, must not have tons of spammy or affiliate links etc." Now that all sounds good and i am willing to follow the rules as i also believe that is bad to manipulate a person and offer him lies in attempt to take his money. But you cant help but notice that Google is preaching these things and at the same time they do what they please.

lies2.jpg

This is a sponsored link that takes a person directly into the buying page and no doubt Google are getting a % for sponsoring it. So since we are all about "something informative/helpful to users allowing them to take an informed buying decision." all i see here is a fat affiliate link with a fat price tag on it that takes you to the buying page. Seems very thin affiliate to me... or Google does not follow the same rules?

They have said many times "most of affiliate pages are bad user experience" so how is a money making link directly to the merchant with no additional information, reviews or comparisons, considered informative and a good user experience, but landing on a page with a review and comments and more (with an affiliate link at the end) a bad user experience... and the answer is "People want instant answers... blah, blah blah" Well, thanks google but if you hadnt stuffed those pictures in my face hoping you can make money off of me, i could find the merchant, in this case bodybuilding.com by myself, as the link to their website is right under your spammy affiliate marketing attempts....

There are certainly enough evidence around the web to suggest all sorts of speculations about Google rigging their own system and not allowing for fair competition. In no way shape or form are these sponsored links good user experience judging by the rules and policies that google has created. And yet they practice it freely and the small competition is monitored and suspended over and over for having 4 affiliate links in a website with 35+ articles.

P.S. - I'll just throw a random assumption here, maybe i'm wrong, maybe i'm not.

----------

policy.png

--------

im wondering if google has the sertificate to advertise supplements since in these landing pages they talk about Growth Hormones and Testosterone, which are both in the 'not allowed drug list'. Or maybe they do have a certificate, you never know... Google has become a bodybuilding expert while we are too busy crying about their way of things. Legit Script says they have no information on Google being a legitimate pharmacy.

If your answer is "Google is not an online pharmacy or a manufacturer so the policy does not affect them, it affects the merchant website" let me tell you that i had a website with many bodybuilding and weight loss articles talking about food, workout plans, healthier lifestyle and more. I wanted to advertise it on adwords so the landing page was a pretty decent and long review of a bodybuilding brand + comparisons + a way for people to express their opinion and experience with the brand and only one affilaite link at the end (one for the whole website). And yet the healthcare and medicine policy was enforced on me even tho my website had 0 perscription drug terms on it and in no way was it a pharmacy or whatever. And again, maybe im wrong and Google has a certificate for being an online pharmacy.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I suggest you lodge a formal complaint to Google Adwords may be they will
take a closer look at their system & make improvement if they see a need to
do so.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Great argument! Very valid points.

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager
This 2015 thread has been closed to new replies. 

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

This will improve the visibility of any new questions as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.