AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

going over the text ad character limits on headlines

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

hello, probably a silly question, but what happens if you go over on the character limits for the headlines?  will your ads not run?  i ask because we have created a bunch of ads in english that are at or below the limits, however, also want to do them in French, but when we translate them over the translations are a few characters longer than the english and is bringing them over the 30 character limit.  anyone have any insights on this?  thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ian G
July 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

Ads will not be enabled/approved it you go over the character limits. The system should not even allow them to be saved really. You have to comply with all editorial guidelines when creating ads. 

Kind Regards,

James

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ian G
July 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

Ads will not be enabled/approved it you go over the character limits. The system should not even allow them to be saved really. You have to comply with all editorial guidelines when creating ads. 

Kind Regards,

James

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

thank you, sir!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

James, can I ask you another question(s)?  We are currently bidding for "currency transfer israel" and per the Adwords site are at the bid needed to get our ad for IsraTransfer on the first page - and it is.  However, it is also showing on the Adwords site that we are at the necessary bid to get the first page placement for "currency transfer" for people in israel searching that phrase, however, when you search "currency transfer" no one's ad shows up.  Do you know why that would be?  Also, we are seeing the same thing with the term "transferwise" - Adwords says we have the top bid for our region, but no ad is showing up with that search - and in fact on the bottom of page 2 is an ad that is not ours.  Any ideas why?  Thanks

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Check your quality score for those terms.

Also, for some keywords Adwords will choose to show no ads or to only show ads at the bottom of the page.  Usually you will see a flag for "low search volume" on those terms.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

thank you so much.  makes a lot of sense.  and going in now and checking on my dashboard it looks like you are correct.  thank you again!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Shanee - is it possible that some browsers don't show ads while others do?  i've been testing over here with Chrome and then doing the same searches with MS Edge browser and Safari and sometimes you get ads on some and not others, etc..  have you ever heard of anything like this before?  thank you so much again.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

I would guess that everything makes a difference - day of the week, time of day, geographic location and anything else you can think of.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

thanks again for everything, truly.