2.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

gdn ad groups

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hi everyone, would it be wise within gdn to use both banner and text ads within the same ad group or should i use separate ad groups (banners ad group and text ads ad group)?

oded.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: gdn ad groups

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi ODED,

Welcome to the Adwords CommunitySmiley Happy

It would be better to create separate ad group for Text ads and Banner ads, as it will help you to optimize your bid according to your ad copy with respect to your Keywords.

But other will share their good experience on thisSmiley Happy
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hello again Oded;
Have in the same ad group all sizes of banners AND one text ad, so if your ad is competing for a position / slots in a given GDN site you won't miss the impression because of lacking the banner sizes or a text ad (if the webpage has slots for both text ads and banners).
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Oded s,

As you can see, there are many ways to approach GDN ad groups, and I'm going to give you another suggestion.

Display ads occupy more than one ad unit. Not all size image ads occupy the same number of ad units, and that affects the actual CPC and could need different bids depending on the ad size to get the number of impressions you want.

As Rakesh suggests, you could separate text and image ads by ad group, and that will help with the bidding. The space a text ad occupies is one unit. You can bid lower on text ads. If the theme (keywords) for each ad group are the same, this is reasonable. It might also be advantageous to create more than one ad group for images, grouped by the number of ad units.

If you're using managed placements, in this case you would need to add those placements to each group along with the same keywords. You would bid higher for the larger image ads, roughly equivalent to the text ad CPC bid multiplied by the number of ad units occupied by your image. But not all sites accept all size images, so make sure your managed placement accept the size images you have in the group.

Or you could go with Moshe's organization, it's much simpler, but the bids will all have to be high enough to show the largest images on your managed placements. That does not necessarily mean you will be paying that much for clicks from all size images or text ads, but it does give Google that option. And you can't vary your bids based on the ads themselves.

I do something somewhat between these two strategies. I have a couple adGroups for different size images so I can better control the bids. But I also have a text ad in each group for fall back--in case the site doesn't accept images and in case my bid for the images isn't high enough. Google can then show the text ad from the group.

What's Google's recommendation? It matches Moshe's, all sizes and at least one text ad in all GDN groups.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords