2.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

filling out the google adwords form

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Could i ask some questions re completion of keywords page.

On the left hand side there is a heading ‘tools’ and underneath it 'include terms[0] and below that “exclude terms[0].  Then on the right hand side there is a heading “find keywords” and underneath that is a section headed up ‘word or phrase’

I don’t understand the difference between these two sections.  Both ask for keywords.  Can you explain what needs to be entered in each section.

Do you fill in both sides of the form with the same keywords or is different information put in.  Could you answer with an example (eg. Effective business communication).

And still in this section under "website" what website do you enter.  I thought we were just searching for keywords so am unclear why i am asked for a website.

secondly, on the right hand side near the top of the form under “Find Keywords” there is a “category” listing.  How do you know what category to use

3 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: filling out the google adwords form

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello helen007,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

I think the way you explained above looks to be the Keyword Tool interface where you are confused of what to enter where and how to go about it.

You can start searching for the keywords by entering some phrases related to your business in the section where it says Word or phrase.

Also, you could include your website URL (in Website section) to get an idea of different keyword variations from this tool. 

If you click on Category, underneath you will see a long list of various categories. This is also helpful in finding the relevant keywords for your business if you select the appropriate category. For example : News Media & Publications>>Online Media. This will show you keywords related to Online Media.

For more details you can refer to this article.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello helen007;

Here are  detailed explanations with screenshots: 

Understanding Keyword Tool columns

How to use the Keyword Tool

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello helen007,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

I think the way you explained above looks to be the Keyword Tool interface where you are confused of what to enter where and how to go about it.

You can start searching for the keywords by entering some phrases related to your business in the section where it says Word or phrase.

Also, you could include your website URL (in Website section) to get an idea of different keyword variations from this tool. 

If you click on Category, underneath you will see a long list of various categories. This is also helpful in finding the relevant keywords for your business if you select the appropriate category. For example : News Media & Publications>>Online Media. This will show you keywords related to Online Media.

For more details you can refer to this article.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello helen007;

Here are  detailed explanations with screenshots: 

Understanding Keyword Tool columns

How to use the Keyword Tool

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: filling out the google Keywords tool

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thank you to both contributors for such a quick reply.   I have read the attachments and I think once I do my first search things will become more apparent.  But I still don't understand the box to the far left of the keywords tool form.  The reference to "include terms (0)" and "exclude terms (0)".  Do you put in different words relative to the main section of the tool entitled "FInd Keywords".  Just some clarity around both sections of the form would be appreciated.

thanks

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Helen,

That helps in enhancing keyword research:

Include: suppose you are searching for water heaters & you are seeing 500 results in keyword tool. If you will add water or heater in include section  - Tool will sort your results and show only keywords that contains either of these two keywords.

Exclude: If you will add suppose Cooler in this section, it will remove all the keywords that contain cooler in it.

hope it helps!

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

so if I have understood everyone correctly  the basic search is using the "FInd Keywords" of the tool.  And only if the search results are too extensive or lack calibration you can then refine the search using the Include terms and exclude terms.  But this is an option and is not mandatory to complete. Confirmation please ..... Thanks in advance.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Yeah!! Not Mandatory! It's for users convenience. Smiley Happy
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

You got it!