Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

exclude by location, include by interest

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm setting an AdWords camapign for travel services. Let's say it is a hotel in LA, California. I want to target everybody interested in LA, searching for "hotel" but I want to exclude people located in LA as it is highly unlikely locals will use hotel services.

Before reading help, O expected it is enough to select LA in location, then choose "People searching for or viewing pages about my targeted location". But stats showed me most clicks came from locals which was completely opposite of what I expected. Reading help files lead me to: "We can only identify interest in a location if the customer is physically located in the same country as the location that he showed interest in."

So, I'm lost. How to show ads worldwide for people interested in LA, but don't show it to people located in LA?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: exclude by location, include by intent

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello psiho; Welcome to AdWords community;

This is a tough one. And you are right about that.

Theoretically, you should target by intent only. Reach people searching for or viewing pages about your targeted location

By choosing this option you are targeting only those who are interested in hotels in LA, regardless of their physical location.

However, as you have found by self-reading (+1 on that: - not many that ask here, first do some literature search), targeting by intent works only within the country of the targeted location. So, If I am in Berlin looking for a hotel in LA I will NOT see your ad .

I have tried a few times to come with a setting to solve that - the only one I was thinking of, was a "reverse engineering" version:

• To target by location only the countries my customers are (e.g. The EU), exclude by location only, and add keywords with a name of the excluded location: (in your example: "hotel in LA", "Hotels Los Angeles", etc..)

Obviously, this "work around", is not the intent of the new targeting settings. . Smiley Wink

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I may have missed it while reading, but you also have to specifically exclude LA, if you are excluding by location only.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

ArneTR;

If you target by location the EU, automatically the rest of the globe is excluded. (In a second thought, on "advanced targeting setting"- it doesn't much matter, if you use the default exclusion, or exclude the rest of the world by location). The intent of the search (i.e. Los Angeles) - was moved from targeting method into keywords !

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your answers. I was expecting something like that and was considering similar workarround. For now, until I learn more, I'm just going to leave it for my locals (and competition) see my ads. Good thing is that my "local" is not as large as LA, but as small as Split, Croatia Smiley Happy

Anyway, this thing seems very confusing and I guess Google should somehow make it more clear that local targeting only works in that country. I guess it is not something 90% of people would expect, reading just UI text. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am no expert but I think that you could look at it in a different way, instead of looking at where they want to go look at why they want to go there, they are interested in travel, if you look in remarketing, under travel, there is a travel method and travel location section, simply choose this, then make sure you are happy with where you are marketing to.