4.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

exact match combined with modified broad match

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't think you can combine exact match and modified broad match but I'd like to do something like this:

+widget [new jersey]

so search term will work like: how do i get widgets in new jersey

what i want to exclude is: i want new widgets for my sixers jersey

also,

are state names and their respective abbreviations a close enough variation for google i.e. nj and new jersey, 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jason G
July 2016

Re: exact match combined with modified broad match

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
I get what you're saying. That should work but you will want to check search term reports after launching to make sure that you are showing on intended queries. It may work better to use something like +widget +newjersey. "newjersey" that seems like a more obvious close variant of "new jersey" than "nj".
Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
HI Jason,

1. Though you tried to specify which search terms you wish to match, it is not 100% clear. Please elaborate on it a bit more.

2. As per the respective policy, close variants do include abbreviations, such as nj for new jersey.

Best,
Lakatos

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I think the problem is new jersey. for my purposes i want it to act as a single word or 2 words that have to follow one another exactly but to enter it as a modified broad match it has to be two words i.e. +new +jersey and can show in any order.

i guess that if google recognizes nj as new jersey then my problem is solved. I can simply use +widget +nj. is this correct you think?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jason G
July 2016

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
I get what you're saying. That should work but you will want to check search term reports after launching to make sure that you are showing on intended queries. It may work better to use something like +widget +newjersey. "newjersey" that seems like a more obvious close variant of "new jersey" than "nj".
Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

>>> *how do i get* widgets *in* new jersey <<<

That would be elegant, but the *how do i get* part and the preposition *in* may cause issues. And if you insert it, *indiana* may also appear in search terms. You can't avoid working on it a bit more and use negatives where appropriate.

I agree with Jim in that *newjersey* is just a common mispelling while *nj* may stand for multiple things like e.g. Nice Job.