AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

exact keywords and location targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If I am using only exact keywords, what happens if I select my location targeting to be "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location."

If say my keyword is [blue string] and location is Canada, will it ONLY show up to people in Canada who type in the keyword, or could the ad show up for someone in, say, Brazil, who recently googled something like "Canada syrup" and then later googled blue string?

Many thanks.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: exact keywords and location targeting

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi LaMonlina,

I think you have two separate questions here and I'll do my best to address them.

1.  If you target "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location." your ads can appear for people located outside of your physically targeted area if they are looking for your services in your location. A query from Brazil that is 'blue string Canada' would potentially still serve your ad.  If you want to eliminate these possibilities, you can change your advanced targeting options to "People in my targeted locations" only.

2.  I think what you may be referring to are the 'session based' broad matches in Search Terms Reports.  I'm not positive that exact match KW would work the same way.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Tom. I don't think that really answers my question though.

If all my keywords are set for Exact Match, my ads should only show up when someone types my keyword exactly. In this example, it would only show up for someone who typed [blue string]. So if someone typed in "blue string canada" from Brazil, the ad shouldn't show anyway, because the keyword isn't exact. Correct?

So if my ad can't shows up for someone searching for products in my target area anyway, due to the exact match keyword restrictions, I'm wondering what the difference would be between having my target location settings for "in and searching for" and just "in" my target location.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi LaMolina

I see what you're saying now and I don't have an answer.  Honestly, I haven't tested or even considered what you're referring to. Hypothetically, you would be correct and I'm not sure that there would be a difference in your targeting options but why risk it?  I would say that this would not be the best use of exact match, just to limit locations of users there are better options available. 

I look at things from a much different perspective.

Where do you want your ads to show? 

If it's only in a specific country, metro etc...you have the settings at your disposal to specify this exactly.  Target this specific geographic location ex Canada and only allow people within your targeted location to see the ads via Geo-Targeting and Advanced Targeting Options.

To whom would you like to see your ads?

People searching for your exact phrases only (as defined in Keyword selection) and people who are only located in your targeted region (see above).

I always set up my campaigns exactly as I wish them to perform and do not try to do anything other than that.  The options and setting are there for all sorts of options.

You raise an interesting question about which settings will trump others but I think there is also a portion of this that has to do with search intent, how Google uses it and how that interacts with your exact match only setup...I'm just not sure.  If you really want to know, give it a shot and see where your clicks are coming from. Smiley Happy

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi LaMonlina,

Tom's provided a very good answer for you. Let's talk about your other question.

Let's say your keyword is [blue string].

1. A query of "blue string" from a person located within your target area can trigger your ad.

2. A query of "blue string in Canada" from a person located outside or within your target area can trigger your ad.

3. A query of "snow in Canada" followed by a query of "blue string" from a person located outside your target area will not trigger your ad.

4. A query of "blue string" from a person not located within your target area but with Google search location set to within your target area can trigger your ad.

5. A query of "blue string" from a person not located within your target area but with Google Plus location set to within your target area (if logged in) can trigger your ad.

I hope this helps, too, and did not confuse you more. Location signals can come from a variety of sources, not just the IP address.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for both responses. 

However, how is your example #2 possible, as I thought if a keyword is set as exact, ads will only show if that keyword is entered exactly? Typing in "blue string in Canada" when the keyword is [blue string] seems to be a contridiction. 

Interesting points on 4 and 5, I didn't realize that either.

Re: exact keywords and Geo targeting

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi LaMolina; Nice question;

If I can try to put it in different words: What Tom and Pete are explaining is the Geo-targeting is a different set of configuration on the campaign NOT linked to the KW match type.

The system identifies "Canada" as an intent of the user to show interest in Canada, thus showing the ad. (Call it a "location within the query" ) the system "recognizes" that Canada is a geographic location, NOT a search term.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’