AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

errant visitors... simple ZIP code field... <5 second visits????

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok, so we're not exactly new to AdWords, but definitely not ninjas or anything like that but I'm curious on what I'll call "errant visitors", and while I know the 30-second rule when it comes to websites I'm just completely flabbergasted on how normally we get clicks that leave within <5 seconds. I'm talking we have clicks that don't even register as being on the page for a second even. So I'm extremely curious how you guys deal with that?

As an example, we have a few AdGroups which all direct to respective landing pages asking for nothing more than a ZIP Code entry (sure, there's an image, a CTA and all the good landing page items but like most landing pages there's no "exit" to that page outside of close or put in JUST A SINGLE NON-IDENTIFIABLE item like a ZIP Code to get to the next page.

Today for example, we've had 29 clicks and not a single person entered a BS ZIP Code in. Our ad is definitely targeted and explains exactly what will happen when you click our ad. You'll start the process of getting a quote...

So I'm really just curious what your guys conversion rates are.

-------

Also, we had a visit today where someone came to the landing page, didn't put in a ZIP code but clicked submit and when the form asked for ZIP code he just left. So I deem that (not in terms of getting reimbursed from google) and errant click and curious on what your guys "errant click" rates are for those of you monitoring page interactions.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: errant visitors... simple ZIP code field... <5 second visits???

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Good morning!

I do monitor page interactions, I suspect most account managers do. Unfortunately, since I've not tried to drive traffic to a landing page like the one you describe, none of my experience is likely to be relevant.

Among other things, though, I would deny that 'most' landing pages lack exit strategies aside from just abandoning the website. In fact,I work hard to prevent my clients from using that kind of page. If give your "abandoners" the chance to navigate to different information on your website instead of just leaving, you get priceless information on what they were actually searching for. This information can be used to improve the content on your landing page.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Chris G,

It's up to you to bring in qualified prospects by using the proper keywords, matched to a proper ad and landing page. If people are leaving without taking the desired action, there's something wrong with your mix of keywords/ad copy/landing page. That's the most likely cause of your "errant" visits.

How are you measuring time on page? Do you have an onexit() function that records that?

I'm not sure what you mean by a "30 second" rule for websites. You generally don't get that much time to make your pitch on a landing page. Five to ten seconds is more like it. That's why your Landing page can get a low score if it takes more than 2 or 3 seconds to load.

Are you advertising on mobile devices? Is your site mobile device friendly?

Just a few thoughts.

Best of Luck,

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Theresa,

We sell insurance products and if you've ever been to any insurance quote related ad the only thing you typical ask for on the landing page is ZIP code. There is no exit strategy, etc. You either put in (even a fake one) 5 digits or leave. For us, in the past week, that means over 190 people have left, 1 has actually put a ZIP code in AND filled out the full-fledged quote form.

We can't even get people to the full-fledged form though, and that's what I mean by someone coming to your site via a clearly defined ad copy and then abandoning by not even entering a (fake even) ZIP code to see the next page. Smiley Tongue

I did tweak it this morning to do an a/b test on going to a landing page vs going straight to the full-fledge form.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Pete,

It's kinda hard to bring in qualified clicks when your ad keywords are +insurance +quote or +homeowners +insurance +quote, or your display banners all clearly label the banner as being for "Get your Home Insurance Quote Today!" or "Get a Car Insurance Quote Today!", etc.

I mean unless I mistaken what you meant, we don't have ad/ad texts/as headlines saying "Compare Insurance Rates", as much as that's what a lot of places do for their ads, our ads are hype-focused when it comes to exactly what will happen if you click the ad.

We're measuring page time via Analytics, Mouseflow and an seperate third-party self-hosted solution. We're also using hard page caching (Varnish) so our landing pageload speeds to end-user are less than 1 second if they have broadband.

You're right about landing pages not having 30 second rules, and yea we've definitely noticed you only have about (for our 190+ clicks), on avg, 3 seconds to make that clinch.

Site is 100% mobile friendly, and most of our visits are coming from tablets, which I did just tweak to allow 0 visits from tablets.

So in the end, the landing page text lines up exactly (as in "hey get your insurance quote in 5 minutes") like the ad copy does. So realistically to us, we can't figure out "why would someone click and ad that says "Get an Insurance Quote Today!" and then close within 2-4 seconds of hitting the page that asks for the ZIP code to "start" your quote?"...

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Chris G,

It's hard to evaluate without seeing your landing page, keywords and ad copy. I think split testing the two pages is a good idea.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords