AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

duplicate data if i use both adwords and GA conversions?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I have remarketing campaigns running and want to keep using the View through conversion metric to evaluate performance, but the Google Analytics conversions do not show this data.

It was suggested in other posts to use both (Adwords conversion tracking and GA conversions) but I was warned by our Google Account Manager that if do so we will be double-counting our conversion data (roughly tracking 2x the amount). Is that not correct?

At the moment, our US campaigns receive conversion data from adwords tracking. We do have GA conversion data being imported in GA but our GA implemntation is "broken" at the moment (referral data is lost due to our implementation not covering a 3rd party domain for our cart). What will happen once this is fixed? We will then be collecting conversino data from 2 sources so won't Adwords just report on the combined totals?

Thanks,

-Eugene

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: duplicate data if i use both adwords and GA conversions?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Eugene,

If you use the AW conversion code and you also import the goals from Analytics a conversions, yes you will be double reporting your conversions on the AdWords stats. But you can set up goals and not import them to AdWords and you will be just fine. If you have already imported Goals as conversions, you can delete those goals as conversions in AdWords. It not affect your existing data, only data going forward from that point.

Now, go to the Analytics help section and look for "linkByPost()". That will show you how to link data from your 2 web sites.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pete,

I'm tracking purchases from an ecommerce shop so rather than setting up goals and assigning a static conversion value I'm importing our ecommerce data from GA.

We'll actually be moving our shopping cart from 3rd pary to a subdomain on our own site which will fix the implementation issue. However, I'm wondering whether to disable the AW conversion code altogether at that time; if i don't we will be double reporting conversions. However, I still do want to continue using the View Through Conversions metrics which is only available with AW conversions.

I guess advertisers that use the GA conversion data for their AW accounts simply aren't using View Through Conversion data at all?

-Eugene

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Eugene,

Importing eCommerce data from GA can be very useful, but you do lose some of the other abilities of the AdWords conversion code. If you replace the imported transactions with the AdWords conversion code, you will still be able to find transactions attributed to AdWords.

Go to the eCommerce transactions, then segment for paid traffic.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords