AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

do i need to put my location in my keywords if I am limiting my search

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am setting up my keywords and I am unclear as to whether I need to include my city name in the keywords if I am limiting my ads to be shown in only in my city.  For example I am looking for  people searching for homes in Los Angeles CA, do I need to put "homes for sale in los angeles" or just "homes for sale"?  Is there a difference?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by stephenb (Follower ✭ ☆ ☆)
September 2015

Re: do i need to put my location in my keywords if I am limiting my se

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi ronwalsh1 and welcome to the forum.  This is an important question - and important to get right!

From what you've said, it sounds like you've already set your Location Targeting to be LA, yes?  If so, you don't need to enter "los angeles" (or any variations thereof) in your actual Keywords.  However, the setting you should be looking at is in the "Location Options (advanced)" section of the campaign settings.  Here you'll see further options for how Google will target LA for you.  These are mostly about "intent" and split the options down so that you can target only people who are actually in your target (i.e. actually in LA) or who are anywhere in the world but are interested in LA, or both.

For real estate I'd suggest you probably want something in the middle!  You'll definitely want to target people in LA (which is option 2), but you should probably also target people a distance outside LA to capture people who might not live there now, but who want to move in.  What I might do in this situation is have two or more Campaigns; have one targeting LA only, i.e. no location Keywords, second option here in the advanced settings, then another with the same Keywords but targeting nearby areas excluding LA and then another with no location targeting but using LA based Keywords.  I'd adjust the budget of these to suit their performance (you'll probably want to spend most of your budget on the first one).

It'll need some experimentation.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by stephenb (Follower ✭ ☆ ☆)
September 2015

Re: do i need to put my location in my keywords if I am limiting my se

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi ronwalsh1 and welcome to the forum.  This is an important question - and important to get right!

From what you've said, it sounds like you've already set your Location Targeting to be LA, yes?  If so, you don't need to enter "los angeles" (or any variations thereof) in your actual Keywords.  However, the setting you should be looking at is in the "Location Options (advanced)" section of the campaign settings.  Here you'll see further options for how Google will target LA for you.  These are mostly about "intent" and split the options down so that you can target only people who are actually in your target (i.e. actually in LA) or who are anywhere in the world but are interested in LA, or both.

For real estate I'd suggest you probably want something in the middle!  You'll definitely want to target people in LA (which is option 2), but you should probably also target people a distance outside LA to capture people who might not live there now, but who want to move in.  What I might do in this situation is have two or more Campaigns; have one targeting LA only, i.e. no location Keywords, second option here in the advanced settings, then another with the same Keywords but targeting nearby areas excluding LA and then another with no location targeting but using LA based Keywords.  I'd adjust the budget of these to suit their performance (you'll probably want to spend most of your budget on the first one).

It'll need some experimentation.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

do i need to put my location in my keywords if I am limiting my search

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon,

I'm checking in the Advanced Location Setting. Google no longer has a way to indicate whether it is people in or interested in the specific area. Can you please clarify how to do it now?

Thanks!
Dana