3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

do all keywords function if they are enabled or do I need to check box

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

on my campaign page i have a list of many keywords that are enabled, however there is the line of boxes next to them that I do not know if I have to check off in order for them to be working. I have been unable to locate many of my ads by searching the keywords that I have enabled. Also when I did find one ad, I clicked on the link and received an error message that the web page can not be found and that the requested URL can not be found on this server, however the website address is working correctly when I google it by using the actual .com

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: do all keywords function if they are enabled or do I need to check

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Erin J,

That check box is for bulk operations. For example, you could check a number of keywords and set the status to "pause", or run a search terms report on the selected keywords.

The bigger problem here is the "page not found" error. There is really only one way that can happen. When you set the destination URL, the system verifies that it is a reachable page, but it does that without any tagging. Some web sites are set up not to accept "arbitrary arguments" in the query string--arbitrary meaning anything the system has not been programmed to accept.

Do a simple "gclid test". In the address bar of your browser, enter your destination URL--better yet, copy the destination URL from your ad and paste it into the address bar of your browser. Then add "?gclid=asdfkjlkajsdf" and press enter. You will probably see the page not found error. (The url will look something like this: www.example.com/landing.html?gclid=asdfkjlkajsdf ) Now, remove the query string (www.example.com/landing.html). If you get the page without an error, the gclid is the problem. Ask your webmaster to look into the problem.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Erin J,

You don't have to check those boxes, but there is a 4-th column called "Status" . Run your mouse over the bubble box in the left side of the word Eligible, and the info box will tell you if the keyword is not displayed and why.

Also you can test if your ads appear or not by accessing "Tools and Analysis / Keyword tool"

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Erin J,

That check box is for bulk operations. For example, you could check a number of keywords and set the status to "pause", or run a search terms report on the selected keywords.

The bigger problem here is the "page not found" error. There is really only one way that can happen. When you set the destination URL, the system verifies that it is a reachable page, but it does that without any tagging. Some web sites are set up not to accept "arbitrary arguments" in the query string--arbitrary meaning anything the system has not been programmed to accept.

Do a simple "gclid test". In the address bar of your browser, enter your destination URL--better yet, copy the destination URL from your ad and paste it into the address bar of your browser. Then add "?gclid=asdfkjlkajsdf" and press enter. You will probably see the page not found error. (The url will look something like this: www.example.com/landing.html?gclid=asdfkjlkajsdf ) Now, remove the query string (www.example.com/landing.html). If you get the page without an error, the gclid is the problem. Ask your webmaster to look into the problem.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords