AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

display campaign strategies

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

hi,

What 'd you advise as a display targeting method to start with from these 3 below mentioned ? For a newbie who's never launched a display campaign ? Let's start with a cpc max for each kind of methods

1/ Several targeted ads groups  with :
- 1 ad group with keywords only
- 1 ad group with placements only
- 1 ad group with interest only
OR
2/ Combined targets   :
- Few keywords + few placements in 1 ads group
- Few keywords + few topics in 1 ads group
OR
3/
- 1/ and 2/ mixed ?

Many tks..

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author garguier s
September 2015

Re: display campaign strategies

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Besides the great advice already received :

All analysis has to start with defining the outcome. What do you want to achieve, product sales, phone calls for services, many impressions for branding. From defining this goal we can start talking about the campaign configuration.

I would start with a remarketing campaign in Display, with an audience from a previous Search campaign. This setup has the best chances for producing conversions.

Then I would try to setup some ad groups with the placements from Gmail and several keywords per ad group.

Targeting keywords + placements or keywords+topics also seem to work for conversions.

Anyway do expect a lower conversion rate than from a Search Campaign and a lower CTR.

You have requested a maximum CPC recommendation, this cannot be done , you can find out what it can be only by testing.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

if you are running the Remarketing campaigns, then i would suggest go with Similar audience as well. 

You can also include the MobileApps placement from the display campaigns. You can exclude the Mobile Apps by “GMob mobile app non-interstitial” or simply exclude the placement “adsenseformobileapps.com” from your campaigns or Ad Group.

This is all about strategy to run the Display campaigns and getting better ROI.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Garguier,

Welcome to the community and thanks for asking a good questionsSmiley Happy

Hey different SEM expert have a different strategy.But i would suggest before creating the GDN campaign, please make sure how GDN campaigns works.

Now come to your case:-

i would opt

"1 ad group with keywords only"

"1 ad Group with Few keywords + one topics"

and if you want to target the Placements site.

then you can create the one Ad group with Placement sites+keywords.You need to also understand how the Bid only and target and Bid works. so that you know how bidding and your targeting works in the campaigns. After running the campaigns-run the placement performance reports then you can exclude and include the placements based on the performance.

Finally i would say, in spite of doing all targeting all together, start working with Keywords and contextual targeting, then add more targeting in different ad group or different campaigns.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Besides the great advice already received :

All analysis has to start with defining the outcome. What do you want to achieve, product sales, phone calls for services, many impressions for branding. From defining this goal we can start talking about the campaign configuration.

I would start with a remarketing campaign in Display, with an audience from a previous Search campaign. This setup has the best chances for producing conversions.

Then I would try to setup some ad groups with the placements from Gmail and several keywords per ad group.

Targeting keywords + placements or keywords+topics also seem to work for conversions.

Anyway do expect a lower conversion rate than from a Search Campaign and a lower CTR.

You have requested a maximum CPC recommendation, this cannot be done , you can find out what it can be only by testing.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Rakesh and Adrian...

@Adrian the site 'd have 2 types of conversions : lead with simple subscription form and a sign up paid plan.

Good idea to launch a remarketing campaign on already search visitors ! So here , in fact, the target is the audience, so the ads will be served for only users list (target and bid) so no need to worry about kw, topics, placements. Is that right ?

@RAKESH / Adrian Regarding Bid strategy , it seems that for ROAS (so as to CPA) , you need to have a minimum number of conversions ? Is it like CPA, about 50 would be the minimum required ?

Tks in advance..

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

In remarketing yes the audience is the target, although I also use keywords sometime to avoid clicks from them when they navigate on fun sites like games.

I also exclude the placement "anonymous.google" from any remarketing campaigns because underneath it there can be many clicks from undetermined sources.

For the GDN there is the Display Campaign Optimizer as automatic bidding option. It only needs 15 conversions but I usually let it record more. Rakesh has a nice article about it here :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/Adwords-Advance-Feature-DCO/ba-p/219965

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

if you are running the Remarketing campaigns, then i would suggest go with Similar audience as well. 

You can also include the MobileApps placement from the display campaigns. You can exclude the Mobile Apps by “GMob mobile app non-interstitial” or simply exclude the placement “adsenseformobileapps.com” from your campaigns or Ad Group.

This is all about strategy to run the Display campaigns and getting better ROI.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Tks again Adrian and Rakesh..

So as to ROAS bidding, sorry but i didn' t catch whether this bidding strategy need more conversions than cpa ?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi again,

Please, any tips for ROAS bid strategy as to the  minimum conversions required ?

Tks !